Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my dad out to 3 milelast night around 6 P.M. and we fished until around midnight. We caught your typical mess of white trout, skip jack, and blue fish. The interesting part was that dad decided to toss out an 8 inch white trout on his Penn 706 with manual pick up and 30 lb test. He rigged in with a 1 ounce egg weight and a 6/0 circle hook. It was in the water about 30 minutes before it bowed over double with screaming drag. It was pulling so hard that it took us both to get it out of the rod holder. Once Dad got the rod in hand he tightened the drag a bit and put some pressure on the fish. Well that just made him mad, and he made a bee line for the bridge went under it and headed left and snap....broke off. Now remember this is not a small rod and reel, it was sporting 30 pound test, and Dad is no stranger to landing BIG fish. Well he re-rigged did everything the same but this time he didn't put the line in the pick up (so we could get the rod out of the holder..Haaa) So this time about 20 minutes later we hear line just peeling off that big Penn, So Dad grabs the rod out of the holder. He puts the line in the pick up and bows up. Once again the drag is just screaming, I swear it looked like a damn tuna or something it was just peeling line like it was nothing. He tightens the drag again puts more pressure on the monster and [email protected]@##$ straight to the bridge again with almost the same result. Well the score is now sea monsters-2 and Dad-0. So he re-rigs yet again and sends another trout out to his doom. This time the rod sits idle for about an hour and a half and we were about to give up when....BAM...line is peeling off the 706 again. This time I am ready so while dad is getting into position I start pulling the anchor. I start the boat and when mr sea monster heads for the bridge, I follow right behind him. Dad tells me that he can feel structure so I zip under the bridge and Dad yells that we are clear of the pilling. Well that was one smart fish cause he turned around and went right back into the bridge this time diagonal through the pilings. So once again snap he broke off. Now any of you guys that read my reports know that I am no stranger to catching bull reds around the bridge, and if these fish were reds they were all 3 world record fish. I really have no idea what it was. It reminded me of the way the tarpon fight on the tv shows I have seen. Apparently the tarpon hang around the bridges in south Florida and when they hook 'em they run under the bridge and break off. well all that seems really familiar, except all the tarpon I have ever seen, or hookedjump. Whatever we were hooking up on last night didn't. anybody got any ideas what it might have been?

Good luck and good fishing.

Glastronix

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Goliath Grouper is what I think. Happened to me many of times during this time of year. It is a huge fish down there.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I had the same thing happen from the pier on the gulf breeze side which is a short distance from the bridge. I was guessing it was a shark since everyone there told me they catch black tips from the pier quite often

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have caught several large sharks, and I have never seen one take line like that. I'm telling ya' it was CRAZY!!!!!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Well we can all take a Guess but the Sad part Is we will never Know,:banghead Glad you and your Dad Had a Good time and a Good story to tell later in life dosen't get any better than that:clap

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sharks, Hooked several today and landed a few too in the bay. Screaming runs, they're definitely getting bigger in the bay now.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
James AKA bullshark are you reading this ?????? James was saying the hell with 3MB when we struck out the other night, but I have seen the picts of the bulls caught from there and redfish AKA Dwayne caught one just a mile away. If Dwayne caught a 40" Bull you can bet there are bigger, but then again, shark, ray, grouper, who knows. Funny thing is I was wanting to do the same thing the other night with a white trout and set him on the bottom and James talked me out of it, difference is I had 8# test so probably wasn't a good idea. But I would love to go out there with a good set up and just let them soak while drinking cold ones and waiting for a monster. James, Dwayne when we gonna do this ????????????

·
Registered
250 Posts
Im betting on shark...and IMHO a 706 isnt that big a reel :poke Now that you know the enemy its time to get out some big guns and go back!

·
Registered
523 Posts
id say bullshark only cause i caught 4 of them last sat. all ranging from 5ft to 9ft in the intercoastal on big live mullet.So theres plenty of them out there.:letsdrink

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I would guess a shark only b/c it's the time of the year when they are in the bay big time. Also from fishing the Tpier next to the bridge for years, the big sharks always head for the bridge when hooked!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I used to fish SW FL before moving here. THe bridge tarpon would jump just as the tarpon in boca grande. THis is upposed to be when we run into some Tarpon in our waters but this does not sound like one. Sounds more like a goliath grouper- but that is jsut a guess based on similar happenings on bridges in SW FL where once in a while you fight back with bigger line and land one so you jsut figure that's what the rest were- and they take the same pattern you described. Any shark I have caught from the bridge didn't follow that pattern. Again, jsut guesses.

Have you landed any good reds at 3mb lately? I have come up dry the past few times I have been out.

·
Registered
306 Posts
konz (6/2/2009)I would guess a shark only b/c it's the time of the year when they are in the bay big time. Also from fishing the Tpier next to the bridge for years, the big sharks always head for the bridge when hooked!
that is very true it takes some manhandling to turn them suckers around.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_lblFullMessage>James AKA bullshark are you reading this ?????? James was saying the hell with 3MB when we struck out the other night, but I have seen the picts of the bulls caught from there and redfish AKA Dwayne caught one just a mile away. If Dwayne caught a 40" Bull you can bet there are bigger, but then again, shark, ray, grouper, who knows. Funny thing is I was wanting to do the same thing the other night with a white trout and set him on the bottom and James talked me out of it, difference is I had 8# test so probably wasn't a good idea. But I would love to go out there with a good set up and just let them soak while drinking cold ones and waiting for a monster. James, Dwayne when we gonna do this ????????????

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_lblPostSignature>"CCC" (Can't Catch Crap)
I have caught 50" bull reds at 3 mile, and this was no red fish, unless it was a giant mutant monster red. Even if we would have hung those fish in open water, the ratetheywere going they would have spooled us if we didn't follow them with the boat, and I'm still not sure we would have landed one. I have never encountered a red that I just couldn't turn on 30 lb test. As far as catching bull reds at 3 mile, you can do it in the summer. However, they are much easier to find in the fall, WINTER, and early spring at the bridge. In the summer you have to wade through all the skip jacks,blue fish and sail cats to get to the occasional red (not to mention the billions of white trout that are there year round). I fish out there about 2 nights a week normally, I haven't been fishing much lately due to a crazy schedule, but things are calming down so I should be back to posting reports again soon.

Have you landed any good reds at 3mb lately? I have come up dry the past few times I have been out.
No csr I haven't gotten into any in about a month, but as I mentioned before I have not been fishing as much lately.

Good luck and good fishing,

Glastronix

1 - 17 of 17 Posts