Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left the dock at 6am with big intentions. As I was abeam Ft. Pickens, my motor made a weird noise. It almost sounded like my prop came clear off the motor. Thankfully it was a spun prop and I was able to limp back to the boat ramp by 8am without calling SeaTow. I immediately took the boat to The Prop Shop for a quick but expensive fix. Had boat back in the water by 10am and headed through the pass with 2 boxes of frozen cigs.

Due to getting a late start, I didn’t want to waist time getting live bait. We went to public numbers within 10 miles and caught our limit of Red Snappers by 3pm. The bite slowed down around 1pm so I trolled some deep diving lures hoping it would spark a bite. Boom. With in 30 minutes of trolling, we caught our 2 biggest snappers.

All-in-all, the day started off on an interesting note but we powered through for a great finish!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Glad you were able to get back out but just curious how much did he charge to rehub your prop? Last time I had mine done they were 50$ a piece....

·
Registered
964 Posts
Nice work even after a prop issue. What motor?

Pretty cool catching them on deep diver plugs!

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,985 Posts
Good thing it spun in the bay. What type and depth diving lures did you use? I've never pulled a snapper trolling a diver, but I've tried many a time. Maybe I've been going too slow, maybe too fast or just the wrong diver? I've ran stretch 25's and 30's carolina rigged. Thinking of using a planer next time I try it.
But you got some nice ones, thanks for posting 'em.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
When I paid $50 per prop it was at accu prop when they were still open and they did it in about 5 mins for both of them that was on 2006 Suzuki 175s

·
Registered
425 Posts
It seems the prop shop knows they are the only deal in town and may be doing some price gouging. That ol man has always seemed shady to me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good thing it spun in the bay. What type and depth diving lures did you use? I've never pulled a snapper trolling a diver, but I've tried many a time. Maybe I've been going too slow, maybe too fast or just the wrong diver? I've ran stretch 25's and 30's carolina rigged. Thinking of using a planer next time I try it.
I used a Rapala deep dive lure my son had to buy at the outcast sale. Turned out to be a great purchase. I’m not sure on depth. I do know that 5-6 mph seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
5-6 mph for speed. The trick is to have a smaller diameter line, so braided line is preferred- I used 60 lb braided line. You can get a stretch 30 down to 60' - the more line you put out, the deeper it will go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts