Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Orion45 (4/11/2010)
fishn4real (4/10/2010)This was a test case. The industry has been urged for years to provide saftey guards on marine engine propellers. Granted, it would add to the cost of the rig, about 5.70 to the manufacturer. But ask Rundover if he would agree that it would be a good idea for boat props to have guards.

Brunswik was order to pay 3.8 million to the injured. They likely paid their legal team and in-house counsels at least that much if not more trying not to pay the injured man. They could have made a lof of prop guards for that amount of money and look how many injuries could have been avoided.

This case is not over yet. It will be appealed until the injured person is either old or dead. Thenthe prop guard issuedwill be a dead issue again until some kid gets run over by a drunk and is killed. Then there will be another lawsuit that will include another boat or engine manufacturer.

Tort reform? If it were not for the Plaintiff attorneys holding manufactureres responsible, the manufacuterers would do whatever they wanted to do, with as little saftey concern as they could get by with. Case in point, the recent mine catastrophe. The mine owners knew they were in violation of all kind of safety issues but they ignored them. The mine inspectors let the violations slide, but now, families have lost their loved ones, and it will be the Plaintiff attorneys who make the mine owners pay for wrongful deaths. They will be forced to clean up their act and be good corporate citizens, because they now will realize that it is too expensive to be cheap.

Tort reform does not mean manufacturers would run roughshod over consumer rights.It meansreformingcurrent legalpractices to prevent verdicts such as these to be made.You can't fix stupid nor can you idiot proofeverything.Common sense should tell you that the two culprits in this case are the injured party and the boat operator.Were I toback over a pedestrian, should the maker of my vehicle also be liable?

I find it amazing to see how quick you are to lay the blame onthe corporations exclusively. Case in point, the recent mine disaster which you immediately attributed to the greed ofmine owners without any evidence to back your accusations. Wait for the accident report before you assign the blame. Also, ask yourselfhow liable are the government inspectors and the unions in these deaths?

Actually there is evidence that the mine that exploded was substandard and had multiple existing ventilation issues and other violations.

The boating accident lawsuit is retarded for sure, but, if you think you can trust companies to do the right thing by their employees then I'm not sure what logic you will listen to.

You shut down OSHA and you will be able to watch the death toll rise.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
jim t (4/11/2010)
Orion45 (4/11/2010

I find it amazing to see how quick you are to lay the blame onthe corporations exclusively. Case in point, the recent mine disaster which you immediately attributed to the greed ofmine owners without any evidence to back your accusations. Wait for the accident report before you assign the blame. Also, ask yourselfhow liable are the government inspectors and the unions in these deaths?

There are a lot of things my union does that I do NOT agree with. But I GUARANTEE you the SAFETY of union members(and the flying public)is not negotiable. I assume it's the same with miners, though I have no close knowledge. For all their faults, unions have a place.Keeping the workplace SAFEis the most important thing a union does for it's members. Unless a leader ignored his members because he was getting kickbacks(certainly not unheard of, but that would be his fault, not the organization), I'd not expect the union was to blame for any part of this.

Jim

Apparently someone missed the ball here.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
WW2 (4/11/2010)
Orion45 (4/11/2010)
fishn4real (4/10/2010)This was a test case. The industry has been urged for years to provide saftey guards on marine engine propellers. Granted, it would add to the cost of the rig, about 5.70 to the manufacturer. But ask Rundover if he would agree that it would be a good idea for boat props to have guards.

Brunswik was order to pay 3.8 million to the injured. They likely paid their legal team and in-house counsels at least that much if not more trying not to pay the injured man. They could have made a lof of prop guards for that amount of money and look how many injuries could have been avoided.

This case is not over yet. It will be appealed until the injured person is either old or dead. Thenthe prop guard issuedwill be a dead issue again until some kid gets run over by a drunk and is killed. Then there will be another lawsuit that will include another boat or engine manufacturer.

Tort reform? If it were not for the Plaintiff attorneys holding manufactureres responsible, the manufacuterers would do whatever they wanted to do, with as little saftey concern as they could get by with. Case in point, the recent mine catastrophe. The mine owners knew they were in violation of all kind of safety issues but they ignored them. The mine inspectors let the violations slide, but now, families have lost their loved ones, and it will be the Plaintiff attorneys who make the mine owners pay for wrongful deaths. They will be forced to clean up their act and be good corporate citizens, because they now will realize that it is too expensive to be cheap.
Tort reform does not mean manufacturers would run roughshod over consumer rights.It meansreformingcurrent legalpractices to prevent verdicts such as these to be made.You can't fix stupid nor can you idiot proofeverything.Common sense should tell you that the two culprits in this case are the injured party and the boat operator.Were I toback over a pedestrian, should the maker of my vehicle also be liable?

Actually there is evidence that the mine that exploded was substandard and had multiple existing ventilation issues and other violations.

The boating accident lawsuit is retarded for sure, but, if you think you can trust companies to do the right thing by their employees then I'm not sure what logic you will listen to.

You shut down OSHA and you will be able to watch the death toll rise.
Lets wait for the accident report beforewe assign any blame.

Tort reform isneeded to address lawsuits similar to the one being discussed here. A lawsuit which youyourself deemed "retarded". Tort reform does not mean eliminating lawsuits. It meansputting an end to all the frivolous lawsuits whichbog down our judicial system,skyrocket the cost of operating a business, and in the end, make tort lawyers filthy rich.

No one isadvocating the shutdown of OSHA. How did this subject come up?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Its all about the money at the end of the rrainbow, you know the people or the ones who take all the risks, all the liability to produce financial wealth! Someone is always looking to get it from you by considering breathing your fault.

Scenario!

I have a lease, rental lease, standard with my attorneys language included, insurance language and the acknowledgement of Vicious Animals are PROHIBITED and the lease is void. Bla bla bla bla and well here is one for you!

Tenant Joe and Susie Q have a sprawling home they rented from Mr. Landlord, 15000.00 invested and 800 a month payments with insurance and taxes to be paid. Tenant pays 1000.00 for his usage of the home per say his and her agreement.

Well a few weeks go by and you get a letter or a call from an attorney...... A PIT BULL DOG bit a small child and you are being claimed as a responsible party! HUH? Well it seems that Joe and Susie Q who has been a great tenant for the last few weeks decided to house/keep/share/raise/whatever an Animal which is deemed as a Vicious animal and listed on the rental agreement they signed and acknowledged. It also appearsthat they dont have anything, just a car with debt, credit cards to the hill and a recent foreclosure and an IRS lien. So the Attorney sees that the only way these people can pay their bills and take care of the little person is to sue the Landlord/owner.

It was stated the LANDLORD/OWNER should be more responsible by visiting the home and making sure they , JOE and SUSIE Q dont have any vicious animals or growing any dope or manufacturing any Meth! The Landlord pays 1.3 million dollars in a suit. He loses his Equity, therental, his other rentals, his savings, his car, his kids toys, couch and his ass because of the AMBULANCE Chasers and the ill effect of responsibility and baby sitting practices suck on Adults who read and fully understood the rental agreement contract and failed yet to remember the vicious page which was signed and dated seperately!

Insurance company folded camp ion the owner because of the non coverage of the Vicious animal clause. So he was left holding the bag on a peaceful Sunday with hisfamily while Joe and SUSIE Q stole his life! His clauses in court were just language but the real responsibility fell on the owner for not being the babysitter! LOL

Case was an investor I know from Tennessee!

I got one from a dope head climbing on top of a trailer and Diving off, onefrom Govt Required Lead base paint, one from an old gas station ebatement. People who didnt have anything to do with anything and yet they were the victims and lost everything!

Ever wonder why Insurance is so high!

Im not sure if you all know this but Propellers turn and are dangerous if you get into one! Ceiling fans are too. Tires on cars turn fowards and backwards and fan belts are not good places to work when on. Exhault pipes are HOT! McDonalds coffee is hotter! Ice cubes are large so chew them up, forks are points 3 to 4 times and you shouldnt jam them into your mouth, trees fall in the woods and yes they make noise!

Make sure if you own property or anythig in general you understand how to protect yourself or the items you own. Take time to understand entities, trusts and personal property.

STEVE

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,134 Posts
<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/nqMc9B7uDV8&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always">

Jim</EMBED>

21 - 25 of 25 Posts