Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone itching to fish like me? In March my wife said? Yep. Left the house at 31 degrees at 4:30 A.M. First Pinfish trap is empty. Cold and No live bait - does not look good. Luckily, the second Pinfish trap is from the pinfishtrapguy here on the forum and it is loaded. Not bad for winter. He is on the forum or you can find his live bait stuff at www.catchlivebait.com or at hotspots, daybreak marinaand other local stores. The seas were almost flat calm and the skies were clear and sunny. The only drawback was the wind and waves were at odds with one another and the current was hard to figure and pretty strong. After peeling off four layers of clothes in was time to fish. Went to find Mingos. None were biting. Worked back in to some wrecks about 18-20 miles offshore. Good bite on snapper, grouper and AJ. Two bigfish broke off 80 pound leader like it was 2 pound test. Moved in to about 10-12 miles offshore and landed more AJ but smaller in size and caught pretty good sized snapper, grouper, and redfish. Too bad it all had to go back, but the AJ proves to the wives we really went fishing. Live pinfish worked very well and frozen northern mackeral did good for us too. We tried other frozen baits including squid, sardines, and menhaden and none of these didmuch at all. Jigs did well on AJ, even caught a red grouper on a one of the jigs.

Two for one. The grouper stole the bait out of the snappers mouth and Mark got both!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Scott,

I appreciate the invite, what a blast! We could not have had a better day of weather, especially in March. I knew the day was going great after pulling up one of my traps and it was full of pinfish. Man I never get tired of seeing a trap full of live bait! As I always say...it doesn't suck to live in Pensacola. You guys made me look good slinging fish over the side of the boat all day. Good weather, good fishing, cold beer and great company......is there anything better? I had fun shaking down the Tupelo Honey and I'm in for another round any time! I've got the itch now and can't wait to get crazy this year. "Let the bodies hit the floor".....it's game on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.