Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents came down for the week and my goal was to hook my old man up on some fish. We were able to take advantage of the weather window on Wednesday and headed offshore out of Bluewater Bay in Niceville. Plan was to head south of Destin pass to fish a mixture of private reefs, public reefs, and natural bottom. Crew was my good buddy Mike, my dad, and myself. The sun was just starting to touch the horizon and I realize I forgot the bag of weights at the ranch.:banghead We were well on our way south so we had to make do with what we had, which was what was on the rigs already, a few extras in the bag and a bunch of jigs. First spot we hit we hammered the AJ's all on jigs. I hookeed the first keeper and we preceded to put one more keeper in the boat. Shortly after Mike caught a keeper AJ that had about a 12' shark attached to it and came up with just the head. The bite died so we headed to some live bottom. Caught a few mingos and white snapper/porgys or whatever you call them. Mike caught what we think to be a Big Eye Snapper. After this we headed back to where we caught the AJ's and my dad landed a 22lber on the jig right off the bat to finish off the limit. We caught plenty of short AJ's throughout the day. Managed a false albacore also with a few scamp. All mingos, snapper, and scamp where caught on large sabiki rigs with light inshore rods. I find it fun and effective to fish this way for mingos and scamps. Still need to figure out how to effectively catch triggers. We hit up a few spots on the way in with nothing but ARS and small scamps to show for it. Overall we had a great day and my dad was able to bring in plenty of AJ'sand most of the mingos. Below are a few pics.

Dad with a nice AJ.

Big Eye Snapper

Mike and Dad with his biggest AJ

The crew and their catch

Cheers!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Great report and pics. Glad to see some Mingo being boated. All our Mingo holes haven't been producing lately! Fun with Dad on a beautiful day and fish in the box - life is wonderful!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I agree John, Mingo are hiding or have been eaten by all of the Red Snapper out there. I've never used a sabiki rig anytime except to catch bait, but we do have some with fairly large hooks and the next time we are on the edge I'll definitely try it. Nothing else we use lately seems to work. Nice AJ's........seems likewehave to catch 20 to get one keeper. Looks like you guys had a great time and got some nice fish.....that's what it's all about.......{that's my brand of beer too!) keep the faith

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant remember the size of the rigs, but they are the large sized sabikis. I was on a charter one day about a year ago and they were using large sabikis for scamp and mingos so I adopted the technique. I couldnt even buy a mingo bite on a squid rig.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Nic, Glad to see you got to get out and do some good fishing and had a nice time with your Dad.Nice catch you guys had. How did you like the jigging? We haven't been out since I talked to you last. Maybe forecast will be good for next weekend.

·
Registered
605 Posts
That's a good time for certain and for sure! Congrats!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Enjoyed the jigging a lot Debbie. I am now converted, I will be fishing with them every time out now. Have to place another order here shortly. Think we are going to try it again in the morning if the weather holds. My parents have to take off tomorrow night so hopefully we can get out one last time. We will see in the morning.

Kim, we were not sure what it was, but everyone I have talked to and what I read on the net says its a big eye snapper. I will have to look up the scad. Either way it looked pretty cool and probably would have been good eating. She went back in the drink though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts