Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started day off at Sunrise. Super rough conditions. Strong wind. Get set up. First cast pomp on within 5 mins of arriving. Didn't even have time to get second pole in the water. Recast first pole, baiting up second. Bam! Nice pomp on. Pops the hook! Ticked, but still pumped. Recast first pole. Go to cast second..... POP! Rig snaps and goes flying!!! Wtf? Just respooled, and new drop rigs. Add on another pre tied rig up and running. About an hour in tiny little play in rod tip, start reeling in slowly.....zzzzzzzzzz there goes the drag. 10 minute fight I finally see him. Monster black drum. Start getting him in close in the rough shore break he makes a death role and in my own complete stupidity I slack the line and try to retrieve him from the surf the wave pulls him back he runs SNAP!!! Broke me off....omg I cursed so loud. Ticked off went home. Woke up the old lady who had the day off. She convinced me to go back out since she had the day off too and wanted shells. Glad she did. Reset up in same spot from earlier. Bam! First cast pomp on. followed by another pomp, then a super skinny pomp, poor guy. And a surprise fat whiting. Back to back. Nothing again for probably two hours.....then I see that slight play in the rod tip again. I know what this is. Give it a few seconds till I see the pull then set the hook. After a fierce battle already worn from the sun and fighting fish all morning I get my personal best black drum. 36.5" and fat. Went back to fight another day. Wore me down. My enthusiasm attracted a little unwanted attention but in the moment who cares. That's why we do what we do. Greatest rush there is!!!!! And put myself on the board in the pomp tournament. Can't wait until next well deserved day off. And I picked up a sweet fishing kayak finally. Gonna be a great year ladies and gentleman, and as far as the whiting is concerned, you say potato I say #### you. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
awesome report. I love how there can be non stop actions for 15-20 min running from rod to rod..... then.... nothing four a couple hours. That's what makes surf fishing so addicting

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Grouper King, and no secret here. Any cut you can find along the beach works well. I will say them #2 kahle hooks work wonders. Can't wait to see some sweet pomp pics up from you.

·
Registered
630 Posts
nice post Coastie,way to hang in there. which pomp tourney are you in? If it's the AL pomp stomp there's going to be some tough competition :thumbup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Moving to Navarre in less than a week. I have been silently soaking up info from the fine folks on the forum here for weeks. The hooks that were mentioned in this thread... are those circle hooks? Do we always use circle hooks when fishing from the surf? great report and nice catch.. Thanks all...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lots of great info and people on here. As with any hook application is key. Circle hooks work wonders. It's what I use 99% of the time. But when targeting pompano since they have tiny little mouths I prefer the kahle hooks. Although one got off on my report, I think it was my fault..... The shape of the hook seems to hold better to me, although keeping the line tight is key. And not to mention the easy release.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts