Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with Sunshine17 on Perdido Key to go after some pompies a little after noon. Got everything set up, got some shrimp and fleas hooked up and tossed out. We didn't have the baits out far, I would guess varying from 30-45 yards or so, just inside of the sandbar in the inside gut. Right off the starting gate about 15 minutes after getting bait out I had a 14 inch pomp on, put up a short but fun little fight. I smiled at the fish like this :tt2:, he looked back at me furiously :censored::cursing: and into the cooler he went looking like this :help:

No more than a minute later he had one similar size I think about an inch smaller still mighty fine dinner sized. High fives were given, hopes were heightened, shoulders were sun burnt slowly for the next couple hours as nothing but a couple nice hits where the sandfleas were destroyed but no fish was hooked.

I think a better rod or a shallower gut to wade into would have been a good thing, 7 foot light to medium action rods will only get you so far from shore, and as far as I go my casting abilities at the moment are a little less than mediocre due to a broken metacarpal in my right hand, keep telling myself to a get a grip but my hand don't listen:no: I think getting those skrimpz and fleas out just another 15 to 20 yards with a 9-10ft rod would have upped the action a bit.

So, a few hard hits, missed fish (or I guess I should say we jumped on our gear too early and didn't let our circle hooks and sand spikes do their jobs, that may have been the case in reality... but Ill just say the fish were being picky..:whistling:)

Finally after a couple long hours getting just a few bites with no results and digging through a massive amount of crushed shells and coral bits til our rakes were thoroughly destroyed, another little stroke of bites. Whether he jumped too soon on his, the fish got lucky and didn't get hooked, or some sort of bait stealing bastard was nibbling around the hook, he had an obvious bite or two. I had one bite I had the same story with, then finally a sigh of relief when I got another pomp on just over 13 inches. I was in the clear I had TWO fish for dinner, the fiance was pleased.

Packed up shortly after and called it a day. May not have been the most action packed but we both got at least one for the table in the cooler and all in all it was a nice day in the sand and sun that ended with SOMETHING... I am completely content with that!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW gonna try to get pics up shortly, dont remember if any were taken there but my fiance did catch one of my drunk ass smiling with my two pompies after we got home just before they became dinner. When I can get that off her phone I can at least get that one up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beach bummin' it, lookin' like i need to be eating instead of drinking any more (as the woman says, at least i dont have a beer gut!)

and DINNER, two nice bad boys for the oven, and BOY was it tasty after a long winter :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts