Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out by taking a half day off and trying to find someone to hit the water with me.

With no luck, I decided to go myself. I put it at Pier Street and cruised down past the Grand Hotel to the Bait Shrimping area just south of Great Point Clear and put in the net to load up the livewell. I made (3) pulls, about 8-min each (with a 16' shrimp net) and got about 2-dozen shrimp and another 2-dozen 1.5"-3" croaker. I was thinking that this was gonna get good!

It didn't.

I started fishing the jetties at the Grand by about 2:15 or so since that's where one of my buddies told me that they've been catching some slot reds and nice sheepies on live shrimp. I worked about every inch of those rocks w/ only one small hit - took the legs off my shrimp. I also worked the marina pretty hard w/ shrimp, croaker, and also some lures and only got a couple very light taps - nothing agressive at all. I fished around there until about 4pm and started heading back to the ramp.

On the way, I decided to hit the reef at Battles Wharf for a few minutes. I pulled up, dropped the minn kota and eased up close to the rubble. As soon as the shrimp hit the water I got an immediate hit. I let the line slack and gave it time, then gave a pull on the circle hook - FISH ON! It was a little speck, 13-7/8" long. I swear I tried to stretch him out, but he was just a hair undersized, so back in he went. The next two casts both got hits, with one being a miss and one breaking me off on the rubble. As much as I wanted to keep fishing, I had to get back to the ramp and go pick up my two sons.

Water temp was 67-68 for the most part. Winds were SSE at about 5-8 MPH with a 1' chop on the south side of the point, but not too bad once you got north of the Grand's marina.

The new Minn Kota Riptide 55lb trolling motor did great. It would push the little CH17 around very well and fairly responsive. I wish it had the 52" shaft instead of the 42" shaft, because I had to put the motor all the way down to keep the prop from breaking the surface in the chop. However, the 24" extension handle still made operation a breeze. I could keep the speed on 2 and head into the wind to hold position against the wind and waves, or I could drop to 1 and it would allow for a very slow drift northward to fish the rocks. On 5 (high), it would cruise around with ease and I had to be careful w/ the turns because of the quick response to the change in direction.

All in all - a VERY good day! Man, it sure was nice to be back out on the water!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Good post.

We stayed a couple of nights at the Grand in 02 or 03 and I was surprized to see a guy catch four blacktips off of the beach at the rock jetties. It was the middle of the day and he had four of them layed up on the beach. All of them were in the 3 1/2' to 4' range.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right off those jetties there's a small depression that goes to just over 8' deep. There's another one just south of the pier on the other side of the hotel. Both of those holes are good in the summer for small blacktips as well as some serious gator specks and bull reds. I was fishing right there at the jetties one time about 12-13 years ago w/ a shark rod and had a huge mullet head on the 12/0 hook for bait. I got a run and set the hook HARD. There was something on there, but it came right to the beach, so I had no idea what I had. I reeled up a speck that had to have been 30" long and in the 8lb range. It was huge and FAT. That thing hit a mullet head the size of my fist on a 12/0 hook and I had hooked it in the MOUTH. I've caught a lot of big specks in that area over the years...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
bamachem (3/14/2009)Right off those jetties there's a small depression that goes to just over 8' deep. There's another one just south of the pier on the other side of the hotel. Both of those holes are good in the summer for small blacktips as well as some serious gator specks and bull reds. I was fishing right there at the jetties one time about 12-13 years ago w/ a shark rod and had a huge mullet head on the 12/0 hook for bait. I got a run and set the hook HARD. There was something on there, but it came right to the beach, so I had no idea what I had. I reeled up a speck that had to have been 30" long and in the 8lb range. It was huge and FAT. That thing hit a mullet head the size of my fist on a 12/0 hook and I had hooked it in the MOUTH. I've caught a lot of big specks in that area over the years...
Man that was a huge speck. If we ever vacation there again I'll be sure to bring my gear. The only thing that I brought last time was my 9' bag net for mullet fishing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can vouche for the Point Clear area. I live about three miles from it here in Fairhope. I hung a nice redfish (30lbs 7 oz.), there at the channel going into the marina.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bamachem have you seen any flounder show up around the Point Clear area yet? I also live in Fairhope and love to fish this area as well!

Thanks!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled my 16' shrimp net for bait a few times and caught some small ones.

A few nights after this trip I went and hit Zundel's and some lights and caught a single keeper then. They're not thick yet, but it's a start!

·
Registered
244 Posts
i have been catching a couple of specks ad reds down near Pt. Clear under the lights at night in my yak .. i have been throwing gulp and jerk shads

1 - 9 of 9 Posts