Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We purchased our Pioneer Venture 197 new in 2006. I has been a good boat for us. 150 Yamaha Four Stroke. Dual console. Perfect for skiing and fishing. We smelled gas and found a large amount of gas in the bilge after filling up with Ethanol free gas while visiting Lewis Smith Lake in Alabama. We were having difficulty filling the tank, 1 gallon per minute was the max volume tolerated. We stopped and checked the bilge; GALLONS of gas in the bilge. Gas was properly disposed of at the marina, batteries were removed, and the boat was taken to Barber's Marine. MANY hours of labor and finally the fill hose and the vent hose were changed. Three new access ports were required to dig out enough foam to replace the hoses. The fill hose had been laid in the hull, THEN the manufacturer sprayed expanding foam directly onto the hose. For whatever reason, the hose deteriorated completely through. Bad batch of hose?? Chemical reaction between hose and expanding foam?? ONLY ethanol free gas has EVER been used. Every 6 month the old gas is pumped out and new Ethanol free gas is added with an '80 gal' bottle of Stabil. The boat is garage kept.
We have contacted Pioneer several times. Each manager gives me the name of another manager.... Most recently "Paul" referred us to "Jovi" another message was left and still no response. We just want to make them aware of the problem, and had been looking for less labor intensive suggestions to fix the problem.
Lessons learned... even with proper maintenance, things fail in boats.
Smell gas? investigate until safety is assured.
One spark from a bilge pump, raw water pump, or bait well pump could have been a disaster.
Below is a YouTube link of the hose.
Barber's did quality work, but it was obviously VERY labor intensive in the final bill. But safety comes with a price.

http://youtu.be/ZKknjtoHVhY

·
Super Moderator
29,179 Posts
Sucks, but you probably won't get any assistance being a 11 year old boat. Could be worse, you may have had a fouled fuel tank...Hard to believe it was that expensive unless they up charged you fer labor costs (spend 10 minutes here charge ya an hour, and so forth and so on) trying to discover the issue which is what I would think happened.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,222 Posts
Watched the video, all I can say is wow. That's some eat up hose. :(

If you wore the same garb when you took the boat to the dealer, he probably thought "doctor" and charged accordingly. :whistling:

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,306 Posts
It is the correct fire code hose used by most all builders. That's odd to say the least. Its also a typical installation.

I can see them cutting access holes to dig the hose and foam out.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hard to believe it was that expensive unless they up charged you fer labor costs
It's a very invasive PITA job. Dealer Flat Rate is at least $100 a hr or more.

As said That hose is standard....I've never seen one come apart like that. I have seen them cracked, but were much older also. Like twice as old.

Foaming Over top the Fill - Vent hoses I have not seen and I have torn some apart for a fuel tank change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've seen hoses crack by that age. while I think some of that damage may have been caused by the tech that removed the hose twisting it to get it out causing and cracks to open up, that's not what you typically see. I would contact seastar solutions at 1-877-663-8396. they handle all the technical questions regarding shields hose. perhaps they can tell you if it is a reaction with the polyurethane foam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts