Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well...I have made it for the second time down to the gulf with my jackson big tuna. I am staying on the inter coastal right next to the oyster bar in Perdido Key. My father in law and I tried to get out into the gulf but were destroyed by the first breaker. I learned what too big to fish really looks like. Lots of effort, but little reward.

This morning, I free lined live pen fish around the pilings on the bridge right over the Oyster Bar. I had my sites set on reds so I was using a 30 pound mono leader. I got bit a few times and was cut immediately...toothy creatures down below. I went back this afternoon with steel leaders and cut cigs. On my first cast, my rod doubled over and i had trouble getting it out of the rod holder...ton of pressure on the rod... as I reeled in the fish, it felt like i was fighting a dog... tons of head shaking. It was a Jack of some kind. I assume it was a jack crevalle or a trivially, but I am not good at identifying fish. I lost it trying to land it... It was probably 25 inches long and looked just like an amberjack. are there juvenile amberjack inshore? (sorry if that is very dumb question)...

I would post a picture, but as I was trying to land it, it spit the hook....for good reason... The hook was straitened and the swivel was crimped. SALUTE... always new jacks had steel ballz...now I have experienced it from a yak....

I know this is a kayak forum, but I will share... we (wife, child, in-laws) took a boat out to a beach close to the Pensacola pass. I, of course, took my fishing rod. I caught 2 sharks using cut cigs. Fun to catch and the family got to see sharks handled and released. We all had fun with it.

also, caught 7 trout and 1 red fish (no size to speak of) off the dock around the light on DOA shrimp. Color of DOA was realistic....beige in color.

thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
270 Posts
There's lots of sharks and mackerel around right now that will cut you off. Were you using circle hooks? I can usually land spanish mac's and small sharks with mono leader if I have a circle hook on. Try setting your drag around 3 to 5 pounds when drifting live bait (2 to 4 when trolling with treble hooks) .When the fish takes the bait he will hook himself on the circle hook, then you can get your rod out with ease. This also makes it harder for the fish to get enough pressure on the line to cut you off. Adjust the drag accordingly as needed after the hook set.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... I was using circle hooks and probably had my drag a bit tight. The fish hit and ran under the front of the yak creating a strange angle. I went Friday morning, caught another jack and had no similar issues... I have little doubt that the loser drag helped, but not having my 270 lb father in law in the yak also contributed. :yes: I was able to reach, tug, pull and lean without the sensation of dumping with the slightest of movements.

As for the report...Friday, i caught one more jack on live bait out of the yak, (succesfully dodged a very quiet barge that snuck up on me ;)another shark off the beach on a cut cig, but the lights by the dock were awesome. I caught 3-4 keeper trout in no time on DOA shrimp. good times had...hated to return north

Thanks for reading ...Adam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts