Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 1989 model 27' straight inboard pig in a poke boat. 10' beam, my first straight inboard boat. Hull is in pretty good condition for a 1989 model. Motor was missing a starter, had not been cranked in years.

First order of business, bought a cheap new (china) starter off Fleabay. Engine spun over nicely, didn't try to start it. I noticed an oil slick in my bilge, thought it might be a hole in the oil pan or a broken remote oil filter hose.
I had some rot in the starboard engine bed, so I pulled the engine and transmission to do the repair. To my pleasant surprise, motor had a heavy aluminum oil pan. The leak was in a severely rusted oil pressure sending unit. Remote filter hoses are rotten, I'll replace them while the engine is out.

The engine bed replacement was easy and straight forward. I used a sawzall to cut through the sides of the bed, cleaned out all the rotten wood, and dried everything out. I built the replacement bed out of marine grade plywood and put resin between the layers. Then I painted all the wood surfaces with resin to seal it up. I had some fairing material I mixed to bed the plywood back in the fiberglass engine bed shell, then buttered the sides and top of the plywood and re-attached the cut off top pieces of fiberglass. I'll make sure all the joints are sealed before reinstalling the engine.

·
Registered
1998 Chevrolet K1500 and currently in between boats
36 Posts
I have always loved the old Sportcraft’s. That one reminds me of the one that my best friends father had back in the 80’s-early 90’s named “Ruthless”. The only difference was that “Ruthless” was powered by one of those silver OMC stern drive outboards. We covered many many miles of the Gulf out of Panama City in those days.

·
Registered
1998 Chevrolet K1500 and currently in between boats
36 Posts
Those are tough old boats.
I recently got rid of my 1984 24’ Proline W/A. That one was a TANK! In those days they put so much “glass” in the hulls that they were practically indestructible!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Nice project for sure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts