Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to make a spur of the moment trip to bear point(south side on point).

I tried to get some live shrimp, but nobody had any. I bought some bull minnows in hopes

of a few flounder freelining while I casts for specks. I caught about 6 specks(4 keepers), several white trout, they were thicker than I've seen in a while. Got one mangrove, one small red and what looked to be a baby jack cravelle(maybe small pompano). I'm not familiar with them so I don't know. All caught on plastics.

All in all, a great thur. night. The bite seemed to turn off around 1am but the fish were so thick that you could walk on water under the lights. Just wouldn't hit!

Fri, my sis came over and we stayed at the Keg just a little to long. Returning to the dock

revealed a nasty east wind that produced a big ole goose egg after about 2hours of effort.

P.S. I used the Gulp shrimp for the first time, if you haven't tried them you are missing out on

the gold of artificial baits for inshore fishin! How are you guys rigging these things? I tried a few different ways, but most produce destroyed baits after one or two hits. (that could get expensive!)

Sorry no pics, the wife forgot the camera. They did fry up nice though!

Oh, do specks hit LYs. I cast netted several, but nothing was biting anything on fri. so I couldn't gauge if they were any good for specks, reds, ect....

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not so creative, but I have had the most luck just sticking a (usually 1/4 ounce) jig through'em. Lets you fish multiple areas of the water column depending on your retrieve. Depends on where you are and how stong the current is though, obviously a 1/4oz jig wont do squat at a pass. I'm gonna try it next weekend, but I was wondering if a dab of crazy glue or fly head cement would hold it to the jig better and increase the lifespan??? Anyone else ever try that?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Saw your question aboutattaching theGulp shrimp to a jig head....I use a variety of colors on a variety of different sized (and colors) jig heads, usually with great results on specks and reds. I have tried the trick of using a spot of super glue to keep the shrimp firmly attached, but keep in mind that the shrimp should be put back in the resealable bag with the "juice" to keep it from dehydrating and turning into a shriveled, hardened, unusable lump of "nuttin". If you put the shrimp and jig in the bag, it will rust out the hook in a matter of days. That juice is some powerful stuff!!You can also use a drop or two to repair thethelure if it gets torn up from repeated strikes. Not sure how that affects the "taste" of the lure, though.

Good luck...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts