Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have to replace the battery tray for my 24v MK I-Pilot so I figured maybe I will make it out of Starboard. The inside boxes dimensions are 7 x 13. I used 1/2" starboard for the base and 3/4" starboard for the border pieces which are 2" tall, so the over all height will be 2 1/2". I got the straps + tie down brackets kit off amazon which are 316ss plus my #8 1-1/2 316ss screws.

I will screw it down to the deck and use 5200 bead 1/2" on the inside edge of the tray and screw holes to seal it up to the deck and screw holes. I think this tray will hold up.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,521 Posts
Those tie downs if they are just the typical ones will corrode... I had several in my cat boat and they didn't hold up even though it said they were SS. Might wanna get marine SS to use. It's a good looking battery tray!

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx Jason, they said 316ss and the magnet didn't stick to it at all but we shall see.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I never heard Stainless refereed to as "Marine Stainless"

But the 316 series is the best stuff.

There is 8-18 in screws and fasteners
.....It's along the same lines as 304 series stainless.

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Nice clean work Charlie. Looks good .

Reactions: Boat-Dude

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Looks great. When the stainless t-top on my Glacier Bay started to rust, I told the dealer, "I thought it was stainless" He said, "it is stainLESS, not stain PROOF. I think a t-top maid out of titanium would be incredible.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great. When the stainless t-top on my Glacier Bay started to rust, I told the dealer, "I thought it was stainless" He said, "it is stainLESS, not stain PROOF. I think a t-top maid out of titanium would be incredible.

Probably 304ss, I have to get most of my 316ss (screws, parts...) online for the stuff on the boat. Rust stains drive me nuts. It blows my mind to go into West Marine and 99% of their screws are 18-8 / 304. Some times I get stuff that says 316ss but it will rust, my guess its out of china the land of cheap quality. I have rare earth magnets out of old hard drives which are very strong, usually if they are not attracted to the magnet at all it is usually pretty good grade of 316ss.

Thx for the comment, I think this will hold up for a while.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Probably 304ss, I have to get most of my 316ss (screws, parts...) online for the stuff on the boat. Rust stains drive me nuts. It blows my mind to go into West Marine and 99% of their screws are 18-8 / 304. Some times I get stuff that says 316ss but it will rust, my guess its out of china the land of cheap quality. I have rare earth magnets out of old hard drives which are very strong, usually if they are not attracted to the magnet at all it is usually pretty good grade of 316ss.

Thx for the comment, I think this will hold up for a while.
We have the same boat so I am particularly interested in your projects.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts