Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,028 Posts
My question is why you are asking this AFTER your build? Should be GTG but hey.....

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am building based on the advice of someone VERY experienced with AR's just wanting others opinions, from what I read there are NO cons at all.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Whats the purpose of the rifle for?
Is it a self defense or a rifle you are training with so you could be shooting steel case ammo?
One you are reloading to shoot for accuracy?
Plenty of variables here.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats the purpose of the rifle for?
Is it a self defense or a rifle you are training with so you could be shooting steel case ammo?
One you are reloading to shoot for accuracy?
Plenty of variables here.
Honestly mostly a safe queen I might put 500 rounds a year thru it if I am lucky, but what I want out of it is short range shooting, nothing over 100 yards and CQB if the SHTF. And no I will not be doing any hand loads all factory loads

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
CCC honestly if I was going for SHTF/CQB I would have just gone 5.56 chamber over the 223 wylde.
Yes you can shoot both 5.56 and 223 in the "Wylde" chamber, but the throat being what is different in the wylde, and the 5.56 I would prefer a little wiggle room for the full function on a variety of ammo brass, steel cased, 223, etc.. I am pretty sure the "wylde" will be a bit more picky especially if you try and run Tula or Wolf steel cased ammo.
Just my .02

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Honestly mostly a safe queen I might put 500 rounds a year thru it if I am lucky, but what I want out of it is short range shooting, nothing over 100 yards and CQB if the SHTF. And no I will not be doing any hand loads all factory loads
You should be fine. Whats the point of having it if that will be a safe queen. Guns are meant to be fired lol

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CCC honestly if I was going for SHTF/CQB I would have just gone 5.56 chamber over the 223 wylde.
Yes you can shoot both 5.56 and 223 in the "Wylde" chamber, but the throat being what is different in the wylde, and the 5.56 I would prefer a little wiggle room for the full function on a variety of ammo brass, steel cased, 223, etc.. I am pretty sure the "wylde" will be a bit more picky especially if you try and run Tula or Wolf steel cased ammo.
Just my .02
Well we will definitely find out about that one because I tend to pick up whatever ammo I can so I will report back if she is picky.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You will be fine. That's a good chamber. You can shoot 556 and 223 from it and it could be more accurate then a 556 chamber.

No offense but you don't need "wiggle room"

My wylde chamber AR shoots tula just fine.

There are so man AR component manufacturers out there just pick one from a reputable company.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,028 Posts
Hmmm, if you really get your ammo like that, maybe you should have got a AK. Nothing worse than your "SHTF" gun don't work cause it don't like the ammo you picked up on sale.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm, if you really get your ammo like that, maybe you should have got a AK. Nothing worse than your "SHTF" gun don't work cause it don't like the ammo you picked up on sale.
Thats next, but honestly my Bushmaster chewed thru anything, we will see what this one does.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Thats next, but honestly my Bushmaster chewed thru anything, we will see what this one does.
It should eat it just fine... I don't see why the wylde wouldn't eat steel case... Only difference is the barrel probably isn't chrome line but to be honest that is very small factor if you don't shoot a lot.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My most accurate build was a 20" Bull Barrel upper with a Wylde chamber and 1 in 8 twist. So far it has shot everything from 45gn to 77gn under an inch. Most better than .75" Best groups were from handloading. 24.7gn Reloader 15 with SMK 68 BTHP. Best ever was .251" for 5 at 100 yds.

Still working on 77gn load. Haven't tried steel case yet. I'd expect around 2" though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts