Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the countdown has started, 22 days and a wake up until my buddy and I will be heading to Colorado to hunt some high altitude elk. The bow is squared away, broad heads are sharpened, tent squared away, only thing left to prepare is the food. It will be September 13th- September 22nd of hunting which revolves around the 3rd week of elk season. This year is a waning moon, during that week, so hopefully these bulls will be fired up and chasing. The only other thing I can pray for is a cold front.

The only down side is that this year, the unit we hunt, they suspended the either sex or cow tags until further notice. Mainly due to the late winters and the winter kill that has happened on these elk hers. So the already lower than 10% norm of harvest has just now gotten a lot less. But in all this should be a kick ass/sucking hunt all together. Sounds like a good time in the making.

I’m going to try and get as much pictures as possible so I can share the experience with y’all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If you're hunting really high, you'd better be in tip top shape and get there early to get a little acclimated. I trained hard for months, running sand hills every day in 90 degree heat and still got gassed pretty easy at 10,000 feet. My buddy laid in the tent for two days with altitude sickness. We had a heck of a time starting a and keeping a fire for the same reason we couldn't breathe. If you've been there, you know all this.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're hunting really high, you'd better be in tip top shape and get there early to get a little acclimated. I trained hard for months, running sand hills every day in 90 degree heat and still got gassed pretty easy at 10,000 feet. My buddy laid in the tent for two days with altitude sickness. We had a heck of a time starting a and keeping a fire for the same reason we couldn't breathe. If you've been there, you know all this.
Yes Sir. We planned on leaving September 11th, driving straight through and stay the night of the 12th and 13th at the bottom of the mountain to acclimate. Granted I'm not to worried about myself but more worried about my hunting partner. since he has never ran around at high altitude. I use to live in CO years ago and it doesn't matter how much shape you are in those mountains will always whip your arse. About the only good thing is if I shoot one it's down hill the whole way to the vehicle.

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
For archery, they are OTC with caps up to a certain date. You can also get them online. After a certain date you have to get them from a game Commission office.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Roughing it to me these days is a clean room, king bed and hot shower each night.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
you should hit it pretty good on timing. they seeing more and more rut activity every day. Bulls starting to make some noise and lots of cows moving with smaller bulls following them around. the bigger bulls just starting to kind pay attention to em but not wide open yet. Think they have decided to pretty much just stay through the season and keep hunting. must be nice to be retired ha

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well in about 8 hours I will be beating pavement to Colorado. The bow is squared away with my ability out to 70 yards and I am all packed ready to chase some bulls. From what it looks like it and reading on forums it has been hot/dry in Colorado so lets hope the weather drops some and get these elk fired up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
they seeing plenty animals every day. only been the one bear actually killed but they could have smoked a tag on a cow several times now but they there for the duration of the season looks like so holding out for the right bull for a while.

·
Registered
604 Posts
No doubt!! Have a safe trip, and smoke yourself a goodun'!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts