Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I had to let my boat sit for the last 3 years with no place to use it in NC. Now it seems that has left all of my seals going bad rapidly. First the tilt/trim seal and now I have oil on my spark plugs. It will crank for 1 or 2 seconds with a puff of smoke blowing out the exaust and prop then it dies.

How much should I be saving for this repair bill? Hoping maybe someone else has changed their rings and seals before and has rough number they paid. Or if anyone believes it could be a different issue.

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
Change plugs and try to get it running. Use starting fluid. If rings are stuck getting it running might help if stuck rings. Better completly drain fuel tank. Hook up a portible tank to get it running then check the main tank before using it.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
What about some good penetrating oil poured in the cylinders and allowed to sit? Would that help sticky rings? Turn it over with no plugs to blow it out then install new plugs

Reactions: 60hertz

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd fog it and get it running. Sooner the better. Get some lubrication to those rings and seals. They'll either act right, or fail on you. I can get it going for you if you'd like. We can get it running and assess what might be needed from there. I've seen engines sit longer than that and start running fine after running them for a few hours and lubricating everything. Let me know if you'd like the help. Josh @ 850-261-0372. Please leave a voicemail or a text so I know you're not a spam caller. I can give references from several happy customers as well as a few here on the forum if needed. I'm located in Tiger Point area behind the NAPA on HWY 98.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also, please don't use starting fluid. It can cause more damage than you'd like. I've seen it burn valves before. Starting fluid is an absolute last resort measure.

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
Also, please don't use starting fluid. It can cause more damage than you'd like. I've seen it burn valves before. Starting fluid is an absolute last resort measure.
You are correct but in his case it sounds like a last resort or try before tearing it down. It was smoking so there is oil and getting it running with starting fluid won't do any more damage.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You are correct but in his case it sounds like a last resort or try before tearing it down. It was smoking so there is oil and getting it running with starting fluid won't do any more damage.
I understand where you're coming from, but a shot of gasoline from a spray bottle will do the same thing. I've just seen too much damage from ill informed people using starting fluid in their engines. Just trying to save the guy from any unneeded headaches and extra damage to his engine. You're wrong in saying that using starting fluid "won't do any more damage" though. He could have stuck rings and some dry valve seals. Using starting fluid can burn a valve quicker than you think. Not trying to argue with you at all sir, but I've seen it used in far too many ways and caused far too many failures.

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
Shot of gasoline would do same for sure. And lot cheaper.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I left some important information out. I really dont know much past normal maintenance on outboards. When we first got down here the engine ran fine for 2 trips. I drained the fuel tank with a siphon. I burned about 18 gallons of non ethanol fuel before it started smoking. So it has had a few hours to relubricate. I ran it for a couple days then did 100hr. Did not over fill oil. Measured oil based on owners manual. Did not replace plugs though. Reason being, I did 100hr right before moving. Plugs have maybe 15 hours on them. Does that change anything that yall have said so far? Thanks for the help too guys, really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What color smoke? Black is fuel, white is oil. If it's black, it could be bad plugs. If it's white, then it could be a host of different issues. I'd run a compression test as well as leak down test on the cylinders to try and find the culprit.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Long story short...I had two issues arise simultaneously that led to some miss diagnosing. The engine was dying due to a bad primer bulb not because of the issue that was causing the smoke. The smoke was because I am a jackass and was checking my oil level on a warmed up engine not cold. There was too much oil. Josh "kidsoncoffee" straightened it out in about an hour. Thanks for y'alls help and thanks again Josh.

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
Welcome to the Jackass club. We all do it, it's called live and learn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts