Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its not quite over, but close enough. Outstanding bluewater bite this year for sure but still fell short on some marks. Had some inshore goals to hit as well. I didn't accomplish many of them but I was happy with a few.

1) Broke 100lbs on Wahoo with a 102lber
2) Caught my first Yellowfin on fly with a fish not quite 40lbs. Looking for a bigger one this coming year on fly.
3) New PB on fly caught Red Snapper at 19lbs

Fishing goals I did NOT meet:
1) Did not break 300lbs with a Swordfish
2) Did not catch a new PB on Tarpon from my kayak. Needed a fish bigger than 86 inches
3) Did not catch a 10lb+, Gulf coast Speckled Trout
4) Did not catch a Grand Slam on billfish
5) Did not catch a Sailfish from the kayak. I wish they knew it was OK to go further West of P'cola Pass more frequently. Good ole dirty bama water

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Chris, that's some lofty goals, but admirable. At least you attained three goals.

Mine were to catch my first wahoo and scamp, which seems simple enough, but I don't get out to blue water much. I did manage to do the rigging, baiting, and gaffing for people on the boat for those two species, just didn't luck out being on the rod.

My other goal was to make it one full year without soiling my pants in surprise fashion. Failed January 3rd.:(

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
I completed my goal of catching a billfish! A white marlin.

I failed at my goal of catching a blue but there is always next year.

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it doesn't have to be fishing related, I ran my first ever 5K, and reached my goal of running it under 30min. 28min!
I would have died halfway through. Thats awesome!

No, not just fishing, whatever

·
Registered
514 Posts
Met some, didn't meet others, caught my first king, didn't see or catch a cobia, caught a PB shark from the beach (7'4" sandbar), didn't get my mako or hammer yet, caught most things i attempted to target this year including black snapper and sheepshead...., all from land, have very limited access to a boat.... oh and first bull red on artificial...

·
Banned
552 Posts

Caught hundreds of freshwater trout (Rainbow, Cutthroat, and Cutbow)

Made a trip to Grande Isle and caught redfish, drum, and gafftops.

1. Move to the Gulf Coast so I can fish the Gulf every weekend (or inshore)
2. Catch a cobia
3. Catch a king mackerel
4. Catch a grouper
5. Catch a snapper
6. Eat lots of spanish mackerel

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
My goals for 2012 was pretty much all yak related. I got into Kayak fishing in March of this year.

My main goal was to find some bottom spots to catch snapper and grouper. That goal was accomplished as well as managing an all time personal best snapper at thirty five inches.

Macks really werent a goal but I did catch many of those from my yak, only a couple of what could be considered smokers to me in the twenty to twenty five pound mark.

Once I started seeing people catch mahi from a yak, catching one became my goal. I ended up catching nineteen.

Once I started seeing people catching blackfin tuna I decided my next goal was to catch one from my yak. Caught three.

Goals that I did not meet were:

Catching a legal cobia
Catching a sailfish
Catching a tarpon

All from my yak of course.

For next year I would like to add the three fish above as well as a wahoo. I have to be in Ft. Lauderdale in late April for a wedding. May bring my yak down and try for a hoo down there.

I would also like to place in a tournament next year.

·
Registered
263 Posts
After 4years of trying, finally released my first blue marlin from my boat at my new AL home port. Alleles was secondary!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks Downtime
You would have thought one of us had just one the lotto or something with all the whoop and hollering going on in that boat.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Good thread! This year I caught more fish than I deserved. I found flounder but only a few per trip. Had fun inshore and off. Found a spot past the edge that looks like grouper heaven on the sonar but you can't get a bait past the ajs.
Still haven't landed a wahoo but have scarred plugs aplenty.
Hell I can't complain.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Our goal this year was to move back to Pensacola and convince the bank to give me another mortgage. Success on all items.

Hell, I am just happy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts