Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Mercury 40hp outboard (4 stroke) on my 2002 13' Boston Whaler. The motor has less than 40 hours. I take it to Marine Max every year for annual maint. This last time I brought it in they had to change the flywheel, belt, and more.
We took it out last weekend to test it and discovered the fastest I could get my boat was in the mid 20mph. More like 27-28 on my gps.
Is this the fastest this type motor can go? Last year I thought we went nearly 40mph. We have the same number of people (3), 6 gallon tank, etc. Even the gas seemed to empty faster. Just wondering if there is something I should be concerned about.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
664 Posts
That baffles me also. Not aware of any problems they've had with the flywheels and other than age, the belt hadn't exceeded the hour limit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It all started when the engine would have trouble starting. It would start sometimes. The rest of the time i would only hear a clunk. They took it apart and found the flywheel was broken. I thought that was odd due to the hours; could it be a faulty flywheel from Mercury.
It starts great now but when I got the engine back; they forgot to tighten up the fuel connector where the fuel line comes in. There also is a missing hose (I think) from a vacuum? I started the engine and put my finger on the component but did not feel any suction. I can't remember if it ever had a hose on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts