Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need trailer for two Hobie PA 14's. It needs to be able to travel distances, 600 mile round trips 12 times a year minimum. Please advise on what I should look for ie axle, hubs, springs ect ect Average load 500lbs total. Also would I be better off with a jet ski type trailer or a flat utility trailer I could modify? PS If any one has any great ideas for loading two Hobie PA14's in a 2013 F150 Supercrew with 5 ft bed and a bed extender please advise, thanks

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
As you know PA's are a beast to load, so putting two on a bed extender will be quite a chore. But I do imagine it is doable. With that said I believe a utility trailer with 4 - 4" pvc runners would be your best bet!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
Here is a rough idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I have put two in the truck , not much fun. I was hoping someone had an ingenious idea on how to stack or load side by side safely possibly with a home made rack or something similar. I also do not want to purchase a trailer will be problematic at highway speeds for long hauls. So I am looking for hints on axles, hubs, and manufacturers all the thing required to purchase a decent trailer/

·
Registered
322 Posts
Modified boat or jet ski trailer would be my first suggestion however I am not sure what your fab skills are. They can be picked up pretty cheap and parts available anywhere you go (Walmart is always open)...utility trailer would cost a bit more, not galvanized and wouldn’t imagine backing down into water being easy...however, if big enough you could put yaks side by side and have some storage space maybe...also have a utility trailer for anything else you may need it for later...think about locking everything down also..Incas you have to be away from them for any reason...I would really stay away from any home built trailer (axles, frame, etc)....far as axle size, 2500lb would’ve more than plenty...I’d recommend nothing smaller than 15” wheels and a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Eddie English will build you an extremely roadworthy trailer you can haul anywhere- they’ll configure it to perfection and your PA’s will sit nicely.

I can’t quote his price, but it was around $900.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I built this from a Jon boat trailer that i already had - Eddie supplied the cross bars and uprights.

And, FWIW, I’ve towed a kayak on one of these converted Jon boat trailers several times between Pensacola and Corpus Christi with zero problems. No different than a regular boat trailer.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts