Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
eating tasty
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anchored up on the liberty ship for a little while yesterday, and caught two species I have never seen. One strange looking fish my buddy called a "stonefish", but when I google stonefish it doesn't look the same. Another was a small shark with a really strange tiny mouth, maybe a dogfish?? I have never seen one in person, so I can't tell for sure.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have always called the first one a toad fish or sea robin...thats a bigger one than I have ever seen though. Usually 10 to 14 inches. Is that an atlantic sharpnose...did it have any small white dots on it?

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Top is the leopard toadfish. The shark is a species of dogfish, most likely the smooth dogfish.

·
Registered
71 Posts
First one is an Oyster Toadfish or as we call them in Destin a mother-in-law fish because they are so ugly and ill tempered. They bite worse than any mother-in -law! The second is probably a Smooth Dogfish (it would help to see the second dorsal fin).

·
Registered
9 Posts
THE FIRST FISH IS THE GULF TOADFISH <U>Opsanus</U> <U>beta.</U>

THE SHARK IS MOST LIKELY THE ATLANTIC SHARPNOSE <U>Rizoprionodon</U> <U>terraenovae</U>. ALTHOUGH A POSITIVE ID I IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT SEING THE CAUDAL FIN AND THE TEETH----JOHN

<U></U>

<U></U>

<U></U>

<U></U>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts