Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tall Sexy Guy
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, we didn't kill a bird today, but I've gotta admit that I still found this to be an awesome experience.

I met JSpooney for the very first time this morning. We went to my family's land in Milton and he began making calls just before sunrise. We heard multiple gobblers call back to us and they weren't too far off. We got ourselves into position and he continued making calls just as the sun was rising. The gobblers responded and they were on the march and headed our way. When they would call back to us, they were getting closer and closer and their sound was getting louder and louder. JSpooney told me to get ready and take my safety off, so I did. My heart was pumping and I could feel the adreneline pumping through my veins. They were probably just 30 yards away and they were hammering hard. For reasons I'll never know, they took an abrupt turn to the North and we could hear them getting further and further away. We gave chase and caught back up tothem, so we got back into position and he made a few more calls. They were gobbling back and we could hear other sets of gobblers off in the distance as well. There was a hen just around the corner from us. My cousin had seen this henmany times this week, so we knew it was the real deal and not another hunter (even though this is private land). I couldn't think of a better position to be in....They were making all sorts of noise and then about 9:00am....all gobbling stopped. That was it, the woods were silent. They never made another sound.

Although I didn't see a bird, I certainly knew they were close and that adreneline rush really got my excitement going. I know turkey and deer hunting are entirely different, but I definately got the bug today. I thought it was cool that we were talking to the turkey and they were talking back to us. I'm eager to go again and see if the result will be any different. Regardless, I thought the experience was awesome. Thanks JS.

Scoots

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sound's like the turkey bug bit you hard! Great post, keep after them! It is mind blowing how exciting turkey hunting can be. Until you hear one drumming, you just can't explain it!

·
Tall Sexy Guy
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I got bit by the bug.

I guess the thing which intrigued me the most was how important it is to hunt with your ears. Sound plays such a vital role and when they gobble back, you can guage how far you are away from them, how many there are and which direction they're moving. That's totally different from the deer hunting I did earlier this year. A mixture of stalking, ambush and calling techniques all make for a totally unique experience.

I'm going back next weekend for sure. Too bad Spring turkey season is so short.

Scoots

·
Tall Sexy Guy
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also ofer a public "Thanks" to jspooney for going out there with me and making the calls. It was nice meeting a fellow forum member and especially cool to have someone take the time to explain to me what's going on.

Scoots

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
The pleasure was all mine. You are a lot of fun to hunt with. I only wish you could get to see a real pro like Blazerboy work the call. He is the real master and knows volumes more than me. He still hasn't returned my call since I woke him up at 5:30 in the morning. I guess I shouldn't have called, but then again, I guess he should have been in the woods. You'll get that bird next week. Just follow the plan and be patient and call less than you think you need to. Send me a pic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts