Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I have to say thanks to my boss and good friend Mike for being too cool. Thanks to him a few of us from the office were able to partake in a charter yesterday and enjoy some bottom fishing and cobia fishing, well some of us enjoyed some fishing, it was slightly rough and all but two of the crew were sick most the day. It was unfortunate for the guys who got sick, I know it isn?t any fun, sorry fellas. UnfortunatelyMike was not able to go on this trip due to some last minute conflicts, but we caught a few fish for him. We started the day with two chumming on the way out and then another while we were fishing. We headed out for some bottom bumping and then went after some cobia. The fish didn?t want to cooperate very well and we managed a few keeper Triggerfish, 2 keeper AJ?s, and a couple of white snappers.. We put a couple triggers in a ceviche mixture to marinate right off the bat and kept a few snappers for lunch on the grill. Surprisingly we didn?t put one grouper in the boat, I guess it just wasn?t a good day for them. Couldn?t even get any up on the jigs. After a while we decided to call it a day for the bottom fishing and head in for some cobia. Since the cobia fishing has been so good I figured we could put a couple in the box anyhow. Soon after we had hit the beach, we weren?t seeing much for fish and the guys weren?t feeling any better, even worse actually. So they decided to call it a day and started heading back at cruising speed. I went down in the galley and cooked up some fresh Dorito encrusted snapper on the grill for sandwiches for the four of us who could eat me, Steve, the captain and deckhand. You can?t beat any type of fresh fish sandwiches it just doesn?t taste the same any other way. The trigger ceviche turned out very good also, none of it went to waste. Well we had quite a drive back to the pass yet so I headed back up to the tower since it seemed to be the best spot in the house and no one else had an interest in it. Wasn?t up five minutes and I spotted a fish just off the port side of the bow, never saw one before, so it was cool to see how it all went down. I couldn?t believe how fast it ate that live eel we through at it. No sooner than the eel hit the water that cobia was on it and instant hook up. It gave us an aerial show for a while jumping in the air all over the place, then it started to pull hard when it came in close, but we eventually managed to get a gaff in her. She weighed roughly 35lbs. Thanks Mike fora day on the water it was much appreciated by all! And thanks Brian for giving us all a reason to get together and do some fishing. It wasnt much of a picture trip, but here are a few.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
nice report, sorry about the guys that got :sick. it is a real bad feeling for sure. and a BIG CONGRATS on your fisrt cobe and a nice one at that. it is awsome to see one in the water and even better when they EAT. way to end the day.:clap

·
Registered
549 Posts
Nick So glad you guys got to pull on some nice fish. Knowing you, every one has a blast. Congrates on the nice cobia also. Gene

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, yeah Trey seemed like a cool dude and his deckhand seemed like a good guy to. I have fished with his old man, Kelly, once before and it went well. I had fun swapping stories with them in the tower. He definitely wanted to put some cobes in the box, unfortunately we had to cruise a little faster than he cared, but wasnt much I could do about that:sick. Thanks guys for a fun day on the water.

·
Super Moderator
29,285 Posts
Heck yeah!!!! That is AWESOME!!!! Congrats!:letsdrink:letsdrink:letsdrink

·
Registered
400 Posts
Anyone that goes fishing that I do not know for sure if they can take rough water, they must ware a patch, or not go. I live in Atlanta, but have a house and boat in Pensacola. I am not driving for 5.5 hours and have some yahoo cry to go in early. It is a reasonable request, because getting sea sick is no fun for anyone anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts