Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a boat with subject engine. Been searching the web for some numbers without much luck.
What should max RPM be? Is there some range vice a top number?
What would be an acceptable high rpm cruise number?
What would fuel consumption per hour be?
What would be a moderate cruise rpm and fuel consumption?
Was told quart of oil per 12 gal of fuel for mix?

Always had diesel boats so new to me. Thanks

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
If you don’t have oil injection then get a mixing cup. You just fill the oil up to the line that coincides with the number of gallons you put in. No need to worry about how many ounces per gallon. Attwood Fuel Oil Mixing Bottle

I agree with the poster above. The biggest V4 I have seen is a 130 Yamaha. Good motors

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your are right. We pulled the cowling to check for corrosion etc, didn't count cyl. We are diesel boat folks-OB new to me. LOL
If you don’t have oil injection then get a mixing cup. You just fill the oil up to the line that coincides with the number of gallons you put in. No need to worry about how many ounces per gallon. Attwood Fuel Oil Mixing Bottle

I agree with the poster above. The biggest V4 I have seen is a 130 Yamaha. Good motors
Got the mixing bottle. Thanks for the tip. Engine is Yamaha 150hp V6 and the number is
6G4 C15?TLRX which I assume the ? is a 0 just can't read it. Rest of the numbers are
L ?05671 U. If anyone can add info as to what all that means thanks.

·
Center Mass at 300m
2,107 Posts
You'll be safe at 32:1, but my daddy's racer friends suggested going heavy at 25:1 for older engines. Plugs are cheap.

I owned two of them and both were very good, strong running engines. One was a '00 EFI 150 (oil injected) and the last was a '99 commercial carbed 150. It didn't even have the trim on the cowling pan.

The EFI was sweet... just bump the key and it was running - didn't matter the weather. With the oil injection, you hardly ever smelt anything as it kept it just right throughout the R's.

The carb engine was a tad cantankerous when cold start and took me a few trips to get a good procedure down, but once I learned it, no problem after that. Wife hated it since it was the same mixture no matter the RPM's and would stink us out at idle.

Both were screamers and I'd run them WFO from 98 to Pelican Point, idle back under the bridge and peg it to WFO till the river got too twisty.

Forgot the max rpm though.... sorry.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My 2000 150 is the EFI and oil injected, I love it, it's like a car engine: turn the key and it starts.... my 2011 F300 is also like a car but is so less responsive than the two-stroke....

Anyway, back to your RPM question, I just pulled out my manual. WOT operating range: 4500-5500; maximum power output at 5000.... your specs for a premix may not be the same but probably are.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the additional info. Goes in the water tomorrow for introduction to two of the families here in the compound. We'll load it up to 12, 6 adults and 6 kids, should push the max weight limit of 1600 lbs.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciate the additional info. Goes in the water tomorrow for introduction to two of the families here in the compound. We'll load it up to 12, 6 adults and 6 kids, should push the max weight limit of 1600 lbs.
Was also told in another forum the motor built to use E10 fuel. A 1999 Ok to use E10? Understand the fuel hoses were the culprit when switching to E10. Does that advice indicate the hoses were ready for E10 20 yeas ago??

·
Registered
359 Posts
Was also told in another forum the motor built to use E10 fuel. A 1999 Ok to use E10? Understand the fuel hoses were the culprit when switching to E10. Does that advice indicate the hoses were ready for E10 20 yeas ago??
I use marine gas these days because I don't use it up quickly but when I used to burn a tank in a week I did use E10 in mine. The manual (for 2000) specifically states that ethanol up to 10% is OK but no more.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
C150 tlrx. C means commercial. They were made without oil injection. Not sure if it was just cheaper or the commercial guys did not trust oil injection. T means power tilt and trim. L means long shaft which is 20”. R means remote as opposed to tiller. X is for the year 1999. They are good motors

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciate very much the additional replies. The meaning of the letters was most interesting. I wondered if there had been an oil tank and it was removed. RPM setting is also good to know. Interesting that even back in year 2000 they were talking about Ethanol fuel. First trip out today with the subject engine and a Hurricane 232 FunDeck. Two grandsons and 4 of their children. Up the river to a sandbar and spend the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Appreciate very much the additional replies. The meaning of the letters was most interesting. I wondered if there had been an oil tank and it was removed. RPM setting is also good to know. Interesting that even back in year 2000 they were talking about Ethanol fuel. First trip out today with the subject engine and a Hurricane 232 FunDeck. Two grandsons and 4 of their children. Up the river to a sandbar and spend the afternoon.
Guess I also need to see a manual for my engine-1999 to see if they had OK ethanol that early. It would be a lot easier for us in refueling. And cheaper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Old rule for 2 strokes is to keep it at 3, 800 to 4,100 rpm for max fuel and cruise Anything more just burns fuel.
True, that. WOT will almost double the fuel consumption at 3500rpm - without that much increase in speed.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hook, understand your post. This is 6th boat, first outboard however, and I know what B.O.A.T. stands for. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts