Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. maybe you guys can help me out. I have a 1999 Johnson 200 Oceanpro. I recently removed the vro and replaced it with an electric fuel pump as advised. The motor idles rough and almost impossible to accelerate. Dies almost everytime I try to bring up the r.p.m.s Yesterday, I went through the carbs, adjusted the floats, cleaned and serviced the high speed regulators. The carbs didn't look dirty but did a good cleaning anyway. Not my first time to service carbs. Fired her up and same thing. Running off a test tank and pulled a fuel sample today to see if the fuel was contaminated. Fuel is good. Does the electric sensing unit have anything to do with my problem? In my limited experience I have never worked with removinga vro. Please help. Oh yeah, the electric fuel pump is a posi-flo with 4.5-6 psi.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, some time ago. Compression was a little off, not more than 6lbs as I remember, but I will check her again. Plan on doing a total re-check on her this weekend.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
How do the reeds look??? are you seeing any reversion through the carbs when revved...

What size type electric fuel pump??? 60 gallon per hour min....

What is your fuel pressure???? 4-5 psi max

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Check the neutral safety switch, lower starbord side of powerhead. Bottom of shift arm. I am no marine tech, but why did you install a electric fuel pump ? Seems like it would cause more issues beacuse of a constant supply of fuel, even when motor is not running. To me there are too many carbs that could have a float issue & really flood the motor. Unless it is a high performance/race motor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't notice any blowback, but will look extra close when I fire her up again. Thanks for the pointer. Any other ideas feel free to send them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went with an electric fuel pump for monitary reasons along with the fact that if your warning buzzer does work and sometimes they don't, and if you have a high pitch hearing deficit as I do(rpg,southeast asia,1971) you feel alot more comfortable premixing in the tank. If the warning buzzer aint heard, you will know the oil pump quit when the engine locks up. The fuel isn't constant if wire to in with the ignition switch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Along these lines I have a 1992 200hp evinrude that had the vro swapped out for an electric pump before I bought it and it seems to have very little low end pull, which is what I thought 2 strokes were supposed to be good at, just wondering if this has anything to do with that maybe? My thought here is that the fuel pressure might be too high so its running super rich at lower rpms and then evens out at higher rpms

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts