Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Boston Whaler Outrage 260
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1999 Boston Whaler 26' Outrage in pristine condition for $27k. But, it has the Ficht motors that had issues when they came out. Most of the forums about them are fairly old--anybody have anything similar? What's the word? Some say if they have lasted this long, they are good to go. Supposedly 400-500 hrs on boat, but no hrs meter. Thanks

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Boston

Great hull they truly do last a lifetime and then some no other boat is built to that quality you will have to go custom and over 45 feet to get the same craftsmanship that being said buy the boat and turn the motors into a reef those things are junk do not repower with a BrP product there is a reason almost everyone has a grey motor or two hanging off the back of there ride these days

·
Registered
208 Posts
Great boat but the ficht was a nightmare for Evinrude. If u can get it for the right money run the ficht till it goes. I have always had evinrudes on all my boats. I now have two 300hp etecs with 1400 hrs and no problems. The yams are heavy and slow. Good luck and happy boating.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That was some of the worst years for the fichts. OMC actually went bankrupt because of these motors. The technology was not bad, they were in fact the same as the etecs are now. The quality control just was not there and a ton of them blew within 50 hours of run time. I have heard the same as you though, if they have lasted this long they are probably not going to come apart. I have also heard of several mechanics that will not touch them. I would not allow any value at all for the outboards when purchasing the boat. You have a major bargaining tool anytime a ficht is on the transom and most sellers know it. You may get lucky and have good service out of the motors, but any run time you get before repowering will be a bonus.

·
Registered
495 Posts
As the previous owner of a pair of 1999 150 FICHT's my advice is to stay away from them. Thought I would never sell that boat, finally found a buyer who loved the boat & had the funds to re power with Yamaha's. This experience soured me on all future purchases of OMC or Bombardier engines. I re powered my current boat last year & bought an Opti despite having a friend who sells Etecs. I thought about the Etec long enough to remember how badly I was screwed with the FICHT's.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
As the previous owner of a pair of 1999 150 FICHT's my advice is to stay away from them. Thought I would never sell that boat, finally found a buyer who loved the boat & had the funds to re power with Yamaha's. This experience soured me on all future purchases of OMC or Bombardier engines. I re powered my current boat last year & bought an Opti despite having a friend who sells Etecs. I thought about the Etec long enough to remember how badly I was screwed with the FICHT's.
I own a pair of them now and up until last year they ran flawless. One of them still does but the other is a problem child. If they are 99's I would figure they have just about ran their course.

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
The fichts were not designed by BRP they were designed by OMC and fixed by BRP. The new E-tecs are fine products I have a 2010 150 E-tec with close to 800 hours one injector went bad at 100 hours fixed on there 5 year warranty within one day of Kenny Mann getting the injector overnight. never had another single problem. Like any engine clean fuel and run it regularly. Yes the Fichts were a problem and I would never own one i waited three years before buying my first E-tec just to see how BRP products were holding up. In a couple more years I'll have another E-tec..

·
FISH A HOLIC
609 Posts
my 2001 150 has run good for me. it is real picky about the plugs and they need to be indexed or it will missfife like crazy. also the plugs get out of gap easy, so every few trips, you will nedd to re-gap

·
Boston Whaler Outrage 260
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thx basnbud. How many hrs on your 150s ? This boat has a check engine light on the port motor--think it might be a plug issue?

·
FISH A HOLIC
609 Posts
i would have to guess at about 8-900 hrs. and even when things are good, there is a random misfire in it anyway. never have found out why, but it still runs strong at wot so I'm gonna let er run till it gives out then prob get an etec for a replacement.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have a 2003 FICHT 90 hp that runs really strong and no problems. I read anything after 2002 was good to go. This motor is quiet, strong and easy on gas. Like everything else out there, you just have to take care of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts