Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This question may sound ridiculous to some but I'm puzzled and a little embarrassed.

I just put a '94 Johnson 50 hp back into service after a 2+ year down time due to illness.

I noted no tell tale stream when running on the muffs. It doesn't overheat but there is not a tell tale stream. I've checked the hose and find no obstructions from insects etc. The problem is I can't remember if the stream is dependent on the state of the thermostat or not. In other words does it "piss" on start-up or does it have to warm up first? I'm also wondering if I should be able to blow air through the tell tale hose back through the engine or not? I can not do so even with the water pump removed. As a precaution checked the water pump and out of an abundance of caution replaced it. I have yet to test but will in the morning. I just want to be "armed" with all the information I can gather before proceeding further if the water pump replacement doesn't solve the problem (if there is one).

Also, for another reason, it was necessary to separate the two upper cowl sections and in the process the exhaust baffle grommet (between the lower cowl and the exhaust housing) cracked. Can it be safely run in that condition while I search for a replacement or figure out how to mend mine? Can you believe there is only one in stock world-wide! The guy that has it won't sell it and says he has turned down $180 for it.

Any advice from you "ole hands" will be greatly appreciated.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,776 Posts
That should of fixed it, impeller replacement.
But if it doesn't, run the piss tube up in the water hose (while water running, motor Off), then re-hook the rabbit ears and start the motor to see if it's going to piss.
Yes, it should piss b4 the thermostat opens up.

** Not sure about the grommet, but I believe it needs to be a tight fit for water circulation, so I'd think it needs replaced or fixed, if there is a fix for it ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I too served in the 2nd ID in Korea in 1984-85. Retired in 1987.

What do you think about running the engine with the cracked exhaust baffle grommet until I can find a replacement or mend mine?

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,776 Posts
Apparently it may be okay since they (OMC) stopped making it and didn't make a replacement. But that grommet was used on 25, 30, 35, 40, 48 and 50hp motors. May find a bad motor somewhere and rob the grommet if it's good?
Depending on the hp, they started using them from 1989 to around 2001. There was a outboard motor used parts in mobile, or that way, a while back, may still be in operation. They may have one?
It's a rubber grommet, you may be able to put some super duper glue on it to close it up?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CurDog I think mine is history. I'm hoping someone may be able to provide a serviceable or salvageable used one. I can only try running it as is for the moment. It is to vent the exhaust gasses when at high RPM to reduce back pressure to the engine. It is isolated from the engine compartment if I understand it correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts