Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a new boat.... new to me...

its a 1972 Grand Banks Yacht with twin 120 Ford leyman engines. 7.5 Onan diesel generator.

Let me know what you think...

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's a sweet boat and big enough to do pretty much anything you want in comfort. If you want a ride along to check it out a bit, I'm gonna be coming in Sunday......LOL.......JK........But really.......LOL

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in the process of getting her to destin...

she draws 4 ft of water so i need to find a place to put her.

She is a few hour away.

I know she needs alot of love, their is alot of cosmetic stuff that need to be done...

it is a mahogany hull. the workman ship is incredible... they damn sure dont make boats like this any more.

she has four 120 gallon tanks and the motors sip gas... 4-5 gph... @ 8 knots so the range is unreal around 1000 miles :doh not that i can go that far...

at least i don't have to fill her up much....

Not really a fishing boat, but I'm sure we can figure that part out.

Did i mention i have never had a wooden boat or a boat with diesel motors...

So i have alot of learning to do.

Any useful information would be great.

Thank all of you for your help...

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
AaronBarnes (3/10/2010)I am in the process of getting her to destin...
she draws 4 ft of water so i need to find a place to put her.
She is a few hour away.

I know she needs alot of love, their is alot of cosmetic stuff that need to be done...
it is a mahogany hull. the workman ship is incredible... they damn sure dont make boats like this any more.

she has four 120 gallon tanks and the motors sip gas... 4-5 gph... @ 8 knots so the range is unreal around 1000 miles :doh not that i can go that far...
at least i don't have to fill her up much....

Not really a fishing boat, but I'm sure we can figure that part out.

Did i mention i have never had a wooden boat or a boat with diesel motors...
So i have alot of learning to do.
Any useful information would be great.

Thank all of you for your help...
Beautiful boat! Let me know when you get her to Destin, I'd love to meet up with you and take a look at her!

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
My uncle had a Grand Banks just about like that one. His got wrecked in the Virgin Islands when a hurricane came thru. I think it was Hugo. They are really nice boats. If I remember correctly, his was 50' and had 3 or 4 staterooms and 3 bathrooms.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mingo,

Welcome to the club. I have a 1974 Grand Banks 50. Like yours she is a woodie. They are classic boats. Here are a couple of resources you might consider. Google the Grand Banks Owners forum. It has information on everything Grand Banks. Jimmy Nelson of Nelson Boatyard in Bon Secour is also a great source of information. He's been repairing wooden boats for decades.

My boat needed lots of cosmetic, electrical and plumbing work when I bought her five years ago. As one marine electrician told me, "this boat was state of the art.....30 years ago." I've spent a lot of hours sanding painting and cussing. I love it. We've cruised to Tennessee and south Florida and hope to visit the Bahamas next winter. Congratulations on your new old boat. Have fun.

Bill in Gulf Shores

·
Registered
574 Posts
i can see that with about 20 bikinis running around it stereo crankin beers flowin and sun blazing. very nice some pics of the inside like someone said allready would be very cool, when you get her home. good luck and have fun

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Congratulations!!!

With a 1,000 mile range, you are ready for the Great Loop, the 7,000 mile version, not the 5,000 mile. Therefore, you only have to fill up 7 times during that year or two trip.

That is a great boat to fish the 3 mile Pensacola Bay Bridge for a couple of weeks at a time!!!!

It is going to look great at Crab Island, you just have to becareful getting close with 4 feet needed, but you know it can be done.

Awesome times are in your future.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Awesome boat! When I moved down here 3 years ago my dream was to buy a similar boat and live on it. That was until I factored in slip fees... Oh well. Really would like to get one still. Good luck with it. As many have already said, I would love to get a look at her. Where is the boat located and how are you getting her to Destin??

·
Registered
610 Posts
Awesome, I have always wanted to ride on one of those. I bet that she is super stable in the nasty cross wave stuff. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the process.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea... I got a good deal. It needs alot of love, but i like doing stuff like this.

Doing my homework before i bought the boat, they were around 50k...

You can get a trawler for much less, but grand banks is the best, from that time period.

they are really stable handle big seas well

but slow and draws about 4 ft of water....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts