Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that people will have some strong opinions on this and I know there have been similar questions in the past but opinions are always changing. I am looking to buy a New 1911 with a budget of 1000 or less and want a full size .45. This will not be a carry gun for me. I have roughly narrowed it to a Springfield, Ruger, Remington or Kimber. I am heavily leaning toward a Kimber but would like to hear from those that may have owned some of these. Thanks for the advice. Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Only 1911 I own out of your list is the Springfield. It’s a Springfield Loaded 45. It has been excellent and one of my favorites. My next 45 will be the FN 45 Tactical. Good luck with your selection.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you're going full size, then you may also consider a Para Ordinance double stack , I have both the Kimber and the Para-14, both have been excellent with thousands of rounds through them and zero ftf's :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
13,462 Posts
Kimber and Remington have probably the worst QC in the industry.
Springfield is ran by leftwing sellouts. (Regardless of that the TRP is a nice piece)
Ruger is ok, and would be my choice. The SR1911 is a nice handgun. One of the few I regret selling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
I love the 45, I have other calibers but the 45 and 357 are my favorites. I have had two of the four you list, the Springfield I wish I still had, I now carry a Sig and Para, both of which I really like, if I was to only have one [not going to happen] it would be the Sig, but truth be told you dont need to spend a lot of money for a good 45. The best 45 I ever had was a old Colt GI slide matted to a Federal Ordinance frame with who knows what innards I could find to fill it, it shot like a house on fire and rattled like a tin can with a pebble in it, till the frame cracked.

·
Super Moderator
5,993 Posts
Had a Kimber for years. No jams, no problems. Some people hate em', some don't. I don't give a shit. All I know is I can shoot mine well enough to get it done. Shoot well enough and you don't need 15 rounds.

·
Registered
704 Posts
For what you are looking at spending why is a colt not on the list? I see series 70 government models on gunbroker all the time for less than your budget. I have owned several over the years, colt, kimber, springfield, para, and sig. I have pared down and only ones I own now are colt and kimber. If I had to choose just one it would be colt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No legitimate reason Colt is not on the list. Just the circle of people around me do not own one so I haven't had it recommended. Do see a good amount about Kimber's jamming online but it mostly seems pre-2015 and the micro's of today. Still glad everyone brought it up.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I own a Ruger SR1911 and I am very happy with it.

Reactions: John B.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,309 Posts
I would only buy a used Colt military A1 Government Model. It will only go up in value.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,852 Posts
Desert Eagle 1911 is reasonably priced if you are ok with the billboard on the side of it on the older models.
Looks like the newer ones have a different finish too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts