Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2002 17.5 Scout with a 130hp Yamaha. Have a problem with water entering the boat. I saw an older post that recommended putting the plug in and then putting water in the boat to see if one could see where the water intrusion could be. Did this and no water leaked out. There is a screened plug close to the drain that I have no idea what it is for. Could this be the culprit?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
If it has livewells (which may be that screened opening you showed), may need to check your connections to see that the live hoses aren't leaking into the bilge.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Sometimes livewells can become detached from the “cap” of the boat at the top and when they get full the water runs over the top into the bilge.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Pull all of your thru-hull fittings.

Since the through hull appears to be brass, that “rust” stain may very likely be staining from the foam core breaking down.

Apparently Scout does not use 5200 on through hulls, so water seeps in and the foam core sucks water up.

I have an waterlogged Scout hull due to this.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Yes that screen is for the livewell pump intake....In that position that they installed it....They do not work as well underway.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks... got some ideas now to follow through with.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Definitely, do not fill the hull with water if the boat is foam filled.

I agree that the culprit is most likely a live well problem. Lets hope so.

How much water do you collect in a day? (How long does it drain) A gallon or so is no super serious problem unless the boat is foam filled.

Jack the bow as high as possible. (Chock the dang wheels first, please) Make sure the boat is totally secure then make a thorough inspection of the underside including the area under the bunks. I have seen a protruding bunk screw eat a hole through the hull. (simple, clean fix)

Maybe there was a steel screw or bolt on the transom fitting that has totally corroded through.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is raining cats, dogs and tigers here in Jacksonville today.
Captken I will do that (jack the boat up) as soon as the rain takes a break. There is an inspection plate in the boat that I can remove just above where the problem most likely is.
When on the water the boat takes on about a gallon plus every hour or so. Way too much.

There is also another possibility where the water might be coming from. Close to the front on the starboard side fairly close to the bottom is a "scoop"... why? Have no idea what it is for. Will take a picture of it.
Appreciate all the help. 1111.jpg

2222.jpg

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
That is probably intended to be a drain for possibly your anchor locker(?). With it being that low I could see it being a source for water intrusion if it doesn't have a hose attached or the hose is deteriorated. Looks like it was an after thought.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Yeah, some sort of drain.

I've used the same clam shell as a scoop for a live well many times.

Chances are, you will find the problem when you remove the inspection cover. Sometimes removing this inspection plate is a pain, though. If you can't get it loose, make a spanner wrench using a piece of 1X2 with bolt heads sticking up in the appropriate spots.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Every scout I've seen has that drain, my century bay has that drain as well and it is the anchor locker. I don't think that'll be your issue as there are no hoses connected to it.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The clamshell cover is probably for the front fish box. As, it is on my Scout. There is a drain plug that you can insert to keep it from draining.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
That is probably intended to be a drain for possibly your anchor locker(?).

It is for draining the anchor locker. The scoop is to shield the hole while underway.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
It is for draining the anchor locker. The scoop is to shield the hole while underway.
Scouts have a totally sealed anchor locker EXCEPT one very small hole along the keel.

It is a stupid design- you have to knock the dirt dobbers out every time you use the boat.

That clam shell covers the drain for the front fish box.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took this off today. 3 small screws out and it actually fell off. Damn, how many times did I tighten this tight not knowing that it was barely on. NO caulk of any kind. Should I use 5200 or 4200/4000?... and a little longer screws??

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts