Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
VIP of the PFF
8,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12/1/21 Another good day ! I didn't get home from town until 2 something, but I figured that I could get to the fishing grounds and still have 2 hours to fish. So off I went ! Decided to go to Florida waters this afternoon . The trout bite was good but the south wind was a little aggravating. I caught the Florida limit pretty quickly but I fished another 30 minutes, just catch and release fishing. Back home before dark ....can't beat that with a stick ! Big fish of the day was 19inches. Today I fished with a jig for a few minutes and caught a few dinks and 1 keeper. Switched over to a jerk bait for the remainder of the trip. THEY REALLY LIKED THE JERK BAIT TODAY ! LOL !
Sorry if these reports are getting boring and monotonous ! But I only fish for specks during the winter, so I've got to make hay while the sun's still shining. Lol !
Grey Sleeve Mesh Fish Pattern

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
don't ever say reports get boring or monotonous. bad boy, russ.
detailed reports is what a lot of folks on here are looking for.
jack

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I appreciate the reports, please keep them coming
Totally. Keep it up! Congrats, way to stay on 'em. I don't think I'll get to fish this weekend unless I skip church on Sunday... have work stuff Friday afternoon, taking the kid to the amusement park (assuming he keeps grades) on Saturday, so... I may do my worship on the water, but we'll see. ;)

Reactions: THE POMPANO KING

·
VIP of the PFF
8,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys ! Maybe I'll buy some worms or break out the crappie jigs and try to catch something other than trout to share with ya'll. Good luck if you get to go Sam ! ....It's back to work for me this weekend. Tomorrow is going to be my last chance to fish for a while, but I don't know if I can get everything that I need to do tomorrow done in time to go fishing.....but there's a chance !

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Xpress H20B Yamaha VMax 115
111 Posts
Keep them coming! Helps me get through the day behind this #%^* desk. Hoping to get out this weekend. Glad you are catching them!

·
VIP of the PFF
8,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went back today and the bite was dead ! I caught one little speck and had two other bites that I thought were trout. I did have something unusual happen today ...I caught a blackdrum on a stick bait. First time ever ! I've only caught like one or two on artificials , and they were both caught on jigs, that kind of look like shrimp so that was understandable. Blackdrum aren't really fish eaters like a red drum so when I caught it on the rapala it was a weird surprise.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
That's impressive, Russ! I've caught one black drum on an artificial and it was a paddle tail jig with pro-cure on it, but never on a twitch bait.

I did not realize they have stripes like that, the ones I have caught have all been kinda a mottled grayish browh color... makes me think the fish I saw on the sand flats in the bay the last few weekends weren't sheepshead after all, and were black drum instead. I saw those vertical bar-like stripes and thought sheepshead - I couldn't really see the shape of the face that clearly as they were cruising by in the water, but where I saw them would make more sense for black drum.

Reactions: jwilson1978

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
When they are juveniles they have the stripes. Around 10 or 12 pounds they loose them and gray out. I bet that's what you saw.
I am increasingly convinced you're right. Happy to learn something new, I did not know that about black drum.

·
VIP of the PFF
8,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad to see someone catching. Was hitting slot reds pretty consistent form shore until last Month at daybreak. Maybe I need to start going later? Deeper water?
I haven't been seeing any slot reds either. The only 2 reds that I've caught in the last month have been over slot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts