Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's, this one sent me over!!!!

This past Friday I had a friend in from Texas. Wehad planned to shoot wood ducks on the river that evening. Zac had been at his mothers house for her week, she dropped him off at my shop at about 2:00 that evening. I was excited to take Zac duck hunting & had a good spot picked out for him.When I asked him if he was ready to shoot some ducks he said ( Yes! but what aboutmy deer stand ) I looked at my buddy & said I would think he'dbe burned out by now! I said Zac you make a choice, ducks or deer. He came back with a pretty obvious conclusion. ( Dad I love to shoot ducks, but I'd ratherkill a deer than a hundred ducks. )

We dropped him offat his standwith his bow & a cell phone. As we rode onfor our duck hunt in a mix of conversation, I said, do you know how much I'd love to hear my phone go off & it be Zac on the other line telling me he just shot a big buck &I heard him fall! We just continued on with more hunting gab as that thought faded away.

I little later I found myself standing in the swamp on the river waiting for the duck flight to start, worrying about the legal shooting hours fast approaching, when the magic moment hit. My phone started ringing in my pocket. I like to have ripped my pants off trying to get to that phone.

I kid you not, when I answered the phone it was Zac, He said in a loud whisper, ( DAD I JUST SHOT A BIG BUCK, I SHOT HIM THROUGH BOTH LUNGS& I HEARD HIM FALL ) I freaked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot what a wood duck was, as we drove out I was trying to call my dad & friends & I couldn't even remember their phone #s

When we got to Zac he was still in his stand. He told where the deer was standing& which way it ran. We found his arrow broke in half abouttwenty yards from where he hit the deer.Although the arrow had good blood, we only found a couple drops of blood on the ground. Zac got down & pointed the way he thought he had heard the deer fall, We trailed the deer that way with only running sign, wesplit up to cover more area,we walked about seventy yards & all of a sudden my buddy yelled ( HERE HE IS!!!!!!!! ) That's when I got sent over!

This was Zac's 9th deer for the season. I know he has sit for up to six hours at a timein a stand, bow hunting! passing up numerous doe's waiting for a rack buck, That was his day.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
he is having a better year than just about anybody i know including guys who've been bowhunting their whole lives. i always enjoy reading zac's stories! congrats!

and youre right... when that kindof stuff happens, "what the heck is a wood duck?"

·
Praedator
10,021 Posts
This kid is a machine. I am not a hunter and even I am very impressed. Looks like his shot was dead on too. Congrats toZack and you for teaching him. You should be just as proud of yourself for raising Zack to be such a good hunter. Keep it up.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Personally, I'd rather kill the 100 ducks then a deer. Putting that aside the only thin to say to Zach is Congratulations and :bowdown:clap:clap:clap

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congratulations again Zac !! You are having one hec of a year !! I can't wait until Corey gets home from school and checks out your post ! Chad, great job posting ! I know that you are one proud dad !!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Zac, you are incredible and an inspiration to all of us young dads out there waiting to take our kids out hunting! Well done, and that is a superb buck!!!:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

·
Registered
718 Posts
Chad, that is awesome. Zac has showed his patients and as they say his patients has paid off. You are raising a fine young man and an avid hunting and fishing friend for life keep up the good work.:bowdown:clap

·
Registered
393 Posts
Man that is awesome Zack! What a great buck and you are definately on fire this year.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Zac, thats awesome bud. You're way ahead of me when I was your age. At this rate you'll have your own hunting show teaching us all your skills.

Good shot too with that arrow...Congrats!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts