Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Logan, his big brother and I tried to get a B-DAY buck fer him but it did'nt pan out. He was taught a few things while hunting which was great anyways. When we got to the field where my blind is (1500 hrs), there were 2 deer in front of the blind. It is probably a 330+ yard shot so Logan said fer me to see if it was a buck (been seeing a nice forked horn) and take the shot. I glassed it and saw that it was 2 nannies so we just walked casually towards them. As we closed the distance, 2 more came running out but both were nannies also. 4 deer and had'nt made it to the blind yet:letsdrink We settled in and waited. Logan fell asleep on and off and while he was asleep I looked out his window and there was a big nannie standing 20 yards from us. I kept whispering to him that there was a deer but he would'nt wake up so I kicked him and that did the trick. She was watching us close and I kept telling him not to blink cause she was watching. She did exactly what I was telling Logan she'd do. She kept watching and flicking her ears, then she began to stomp at us. She then walked behind us out of sight and while answering ?'s from Logan she began to run back towards us blowing hard so I had no clue what she was doing. Logan's eyes were huge listening to her blow so close to us. Everything settled down again and about 20 minutes later anothernannie came out in front of us. This one walked out and fed fer about 5 minutes then started walking toward the woodline in front of us. As she neared the woods she started acting scared (I figured a buck in the woods?) She started stomping at the woods then started blowing hard but not running away. She did this fer about 3 minutes. Logan thought this was funny as heck. About 20 minutes before darkI saw a big deer jump the fence to my right and told Logan a big deer just came out. As I glassed it, it was just a big ole nannie. Then her 2babies came out with her (they lost their spots)along w/ another smaller doe:doh. They fed fer the next 5 minutes and ended up behind us in the woods. 3 more funneled out where those 4 had come and by this time it was getting darker. I saw 1 of the deer and got real excited cause it looked like a bigger bodied deer compared to the others. Even Logan got excited and said that was a huge deer. I glassed it but could not put horns on it.I kept looking and looking but could not make horns grow:reallycrying I heard a really close shot and figured Garth (oldest youngin') shot 1 so since it was getting dark me and logan got outta the blind. As we walked into the field white flags went everywhere and Logan thought that looked funny.:letsdrink We got back to the truck and Garth was there, he did'nt shoot though. He saw a small buck but he said it jumped out of the woods then jumped right back in. He has seen a small buck 2 outta 3 nights hunting there so we'll be back tonight (11/24/07):letsdrink Logan got a new bike fer his B-DAY so he want's to stay home and ride so I skipped the morning hunt but will be going out tonight with Garth to at least try to bring in a buck. Logan was very excited cause all the deer we saw 13+ in an evening so I was'nt bummed out cause he did'nt get his B-DAY buck:letsparty:letsparty:letsparty

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Happy Birthday Logan. IfI see deer I consider it a successful hunt.My son, 9 years old has been twice with me and we've yet to see one.I can't wait to watch him as he experiences his first deer encounter in the woods. He loves it already but after a few hours he starts asking what time it is every 15 minutes. So far we've just hunted a half a day each time to keep it entertaining.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Good Lord man I haven't seen that many deer all year. Where are yall hunting at.

On a seperate note; I had one start blowing and stomping at the woods like that last year and not five minutes later a bobcat stepped out.

·
Super Moderator
28,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hunting some private property up here by the house in North Okaloosa County...It's a honey hole that provides lots of looksie's but not a ton of shooters...Always kill a few especially during doe days...:doh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts