Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Green Eggs And Ham
11,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wind finally died down so we headed out, cold run out but was pretty smooth ride. We got to the Mass and the little LY's were still there, so I threw the net a few times and loaded up. Sense it was pretty nice we headed out about 20+ miles, looking for maybe a grouper or two. We got to the spot and got a few bites but it was trigger and red snapper, so we packed up and went to another spot. This spot right off my better half is hooking up her fav Almacos. I got the biggest Mangrove I have ever caught almost 21". Then a few big AJ's hit and I took a break, good grief those fish (got my cardio in). Then it happened COBIA, got him in the boat, not a a monster but legal, broke out the fish bag, blew the dust off and shoved him in!!!!!! I caught about 5 yellow mouth grouper from 14" to 17" I was in fed water but I was confused on the regs so I put them all back, State says 20" but fed said no limit so I aired on the side of caution and just tossed them back. How do interpret that?

Water Clarity = Cloudy in the Bay, greenish at the Mass, Offshore clear green water
Bait = Live small LY's ( at the Mass )
Water Depth = 100 to 130
Offshore current = Low
Area = Fed Waters
Water Temp = 72 °F
Moon = Almost Full Moon

Water Sky Boat Watercraft Naval architecture

Dishware Liquid Water Azure Sleeve

Fish Food Fish products Cuisine Tail

Wood Ingredient Fawn Mushroom Polyporales

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The wind finally died down so we headed out, cold run out but was pretty smooth ride. We got to the Mass and the little LY's were still there, so I threw the net a few times and loaded up. Sense it was pretty nice we headed out about 20+ miles, looking for maybe a grouper or two. We got to the spot and got a few bites but it was trigger and red snapper, so we packed up and went to another spot. This spot right off my better half is hooking up her fav Almacos. I got the biggest Mangrove I have ever caught almost 21". Then a few big AJ's hit and I took a break, good grief those fish (got my cardio in). Then it happened COBIA, got him in the boat, not a a monster but legal, broke out the fish bag, blew the dust off and shoved him in!!!!!! I caught about 5 yellow mouth grouper from 14" to 17" I was in fed water but I was confused on the regs so I put them all back, State says 20" but fed said no limit so I aired on the side of caution and just tossed them back. How do interpret that?

Water Clarity = Cloudy in the Bay, greenish at the Mass, Offshore clear green water
Bait = Live small LY's ( at the Mass )
Water Depth = 100 to 130
Offshore current = Low
Area = Fed Waters
Water Temp = 72 °F
Moon = Almost Full Moon

View attachment 1084084

View attachment 1084085

View attachment 1084086

View attachment 1084087
Great report as always

·
Green Eggs And Ham
11,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. I need somebody to show me how to toss a net in that stack and load up them LYs, lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
HAHA not with this boat, it's was ok with the skiff but... Actually I just throw on the north side of the Mass where the bottom is clear and let it hit the bottom, you can feel them pounding the net from the hand line.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
HAHA not with this boat, it's was ok with the skiff but... Actually I just throw on the north side of the Mass where the bottom is clear and let it hit the bottom, you can feel them pounding the net from the hand line.
I should have clarified.... I need to be taught how to throw any net bigger than my 8ft bait net, hahahahah

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
21 inch mangrove? hell, the "big ones" are usually 16.
way to go, dude.
jack

Reactions: Boat-Dude

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
What a day!

·
Bearded Brotula
14,512 Posts
Heck yes! Stud mangrove snapper.

As far as the grouper go, I don’t think juvie scamp have elongated tail fins. I also thought that yellow mouth were a deeper water species.
What he said. Sounds like some juvie scamp.

·
Bearded Brotula
14,512 Posts
After you put them in the fishbox, right? haha
Yea, Boat Dude did that all wrong. Supposed to kill the fish, bring it back, fillet it and then ask what it was.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts