Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out of P`cola for the first time ever yesterday.Rough as hell all the way to the edge saw one other boat the whole time we were there.Trolled 4 hours without a bite.Found one weedline between edge and nipple with no luck grass was scattered.Then went to Oriskany and didnt get a bite one. Skies started looking rough so we headed back in.Hit rain one mile out of the pass with a skunk.Anybody else have any luck or even fish.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Did a short trip out and did okay.

Loaded up a dozen or so mixed bag of bait fish from the Mass. I always seem to get too close to the East turret for whatever reason. Hit a close spot about 5 miles out and caught the same 13.75 inch Trigger several times.

Headed farther out and hooked and lost 3 large fish. I know they were large because that's always the size in that case. One was a large AJ that took a very long, expensive Japanese jig, a Smith Nagamasa, 230gm. Knot broke at the jig on 100# mono. Next was a huge grouper that took a 220gm, hammered jig w teasers. Short fight then snag. Leader broke mid-way and had abrasion scars. Final was the largest fish of my life. I had sunk a live bait about mid-depth and wasn't watching nor had I set my clicker. I noticed a bent pole and glancing at the reel, noticed I had almost no line left on a 350yd spool. I got some back quickly and the fight then was on. Drag back to full 25#s and I was still losing line. I had gotten down to almost nothing again so I had to chase with the boat. After 20 minutes or so I had the fish a ways directly off to port side. It headed straight out and the line snapped. Broke at mid leader and what remained was shredded. I got to re-spool that reel twice. (Why do people worry about having a reel professionally spooled when it is all undone by one fish?) I guessed the leader was broken by the tail of a huge MakoTigerHead. All true except for what I made up about the sizes and guessing as to species.

Headed back in and close to NAS found a huge redfish frenzy with dolphins mixed in and pelicans slamming into them. I dropped live baits and caught two bullreds that were 39 inches and weighed 22 lbs. I weighed and measured the first and the second looked the same.

End of report.

·
Jigging Member
836 Posts
Did a short trip out and did okay.

Loaded up a dozen or so mixed bag of bait fish from the Mass. I always seem to get too close to the East turret for whatever reason. Hit a close spot about 5 miles out and caught the same 13.75 inch Trigger several times.

Headed farther out and hooked and lost 3 large fish. I know they were large because that's always the size in that case. One was a large AJ that took a very long, expensive Japanese jig, a Smith Nagamasa, 230gm. Knot broke at the jig on 100# mono. Next was a huge grouper that took a 220gm, hammered jig w teasers. Short fight then snag. Leader broke mid-way and had abrasion scars. Final was the largest fish of my life. I had sunk a live bait about mid-depth and wasn't watching nor had I set my clicker. I noticed a bent pole and glancing at the reel, noticed I had almost no line left on a 350yd spool. I got some back
quickly and the fight then was on. Drag back to full 25#s and I was still losing line. I had gotten down to almost nothing again so I had to chase with the boat. After 20 minutes or so I had the fish a ways directly off to port side. It headed straight out and the line snapped. Broke at mid leader and what remained was shredded. I got to re-spool that reel twice. (Why do people worry about having a reel professionally spooled when it is all undone by one fish?) I guessed the leader was broken by the tail of a huge MakoTigerHead. All true except for what I made up about the sizes and guessing as to species.

Headed back in and close to NAS found a huge redfish frenzy with dolphins mixed in and pelicans slamming into them. I dropped live baits and caught two bullreds that were 39 inches and weighed 22 lbs. I weighed and measured the first and the second looked the same.

End of report.
What combo fo you jig those smiths with

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have two set ups,

- Daiwa Saltist LD35 on a "Heavy" Trevala rod 6'(?)
- Okuma Makaira 8IISE on a Star Plasma 5'2"

Like both very much. Both are rated at 250gm and handle the 100gm up to 300gm jigs well. I used the Makaira to haul in the bull reds and it did so quickly and they were thus released in great shape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.