Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Roll Tider
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most, if not all of you swear by 12-14ft kayaks. I am thinking about getting one, but don't really plan on taking it out in the gulf, or much in the middle of the bay. Primarily will be used for fishing inshore flats and docks. Have seen 10ft Pescador, also 10ft Heritage at academy. I'm 5'9, 150lbs, so I don't really need a huge boat. Do you think that It'd work out or should I just forget about it and look for a 12ft? :001_huh:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Demo some kayaks and make the first purchase the right purchase. Its not about the length as much as whats comfortable to you and has the features you want. My kayak is 14' but I'm 6'4", 230lb, and all legs. Several of the kayaks I demo'd I couldn't even stretch my legs out in. Though there are advantages in a longer yak for tracking.

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
Shorter kayaks are alright, if you get the right brand. I have a 9ft OK Frenzy that is just as stable and quick as my 12ft Outback.
The biggest sacrifice is storage space, which is important to me.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I have a 9.5 foot kayak that is a piece of crap but my friend has the 10 foot pescador and its a damn good yak. I have taken it out past the breakers in the gulf to drop bait off and it handled the 2-3 waves decently. I'd GI with the pescador 10 feet unless you just want the little extra room. The ten footer tracks decently too.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Shorter yaks don't track as well as a longer yak. My first yak was a 12' 6" Cobra Navigator and it was all right, but when a good stiff breeze came up, it didn't track straight very well. Too much side to side bow movement.

My second yak was a 14' long, 28" wide Wilderness Tarpon and this yak tracked very straight, not too much side to side bow movement when padding a straight line.

It was alright, but I didn't like how high I sat off the water. In other words, my center of gravity was too high for my liking.

My third yak is the same one I use today and it was bought new in the year 2004. It's a 14' 9" long, 26" wide Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW. The seating depth of this yak is 7.25" deep so it gives me a low center of gravity. This helps when I have to paddle broadside to some large waves due to the direction of the wind. I don't get the feel I'm going to get thrown out of the yak when waves are crashing over the gunnels. This yak paddles straight like I'm on rails and keep in mind, I don't use a rudder on this yak. With it's narrow width (beam), she's fast too. Faster than my old Tarpon.

I would sugggest like others have said, paddle a 10' and a 12' yak and compare them against one another.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I got a Malibu Mini X and like it. I got the smaller yak for a few reasons... easy to handle, easy to transport, and fits well in my pop's boat when we go offshore. I don't use much storage because I stick to the flats and the bay normally. Few beers, a small tackle box, and two rods and I'm good. At some point, I will probably breakdown and buy a 2nd yak for offshore and bigger water, but for now... I've really enjoyed the versatility of the mini. Tracks poorly, is a lil slow, and probably too small for my height, but I like my women the same way, so its all good.

·
Roll Tider
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The best thing is for me to do is to go down and test drive a bunch of yaks and see what feels the best. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Go 12. When, not if, the big water starts calling you'll be glad you did.
+1. Thats what happened to me. But last summer I used my 10' in the gulf alot. Not the best idea go with a 12' you will be happy you did plus the bay gets squirrely at times. Hell I was at Johnsons beach when a waterspout popped up about 100' away. Talk about 3-4's in seconds in 3-4' of water. I love this sport.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Had to share the pic from that day it was nuts. Not tring to hijack the post just show what can happen very quickly far from shore. Size matters.

IMG_20120802_203954.jpg

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have a 10' pescador and have been as far out as 2-3 miles offshore with it. It was perfect weather though. I don't hesitate to use it to drop shark bait. Inshore I believe it would be fine. If anything like the picture about sprout up I don't think it matters one damn bit if your kayak is 2-4' longer. When it's your time, it's your time.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

·
Roll Tider
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If you could get that kayak for $250, there's no way it would be a bad deal. If you don't like it, flip it and make $50.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts