Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there were already a few pages on the thread that I started live while sharking a couple nights ago I decided I'd just make a new one for the pictures. Here is the 82'' sandbar that James caught. He got spooled on a 9/0 on this & was lucky enough to have the knot on the spool hold! Austin was able to grab the line & pull the shark in a few yards so James could pick up a few cranks on the spool & then the fight was on again! 30-35 minutes later we had this bad boy on the beach.

Tight lines everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I wish they would take them off the Prtected species list, cause we all sure catch a lot of them .. I've released 5 this summer .. only be able to keep 2 spinners, and 1 sharp nose

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
Wirelessly posted

What do you like to set yours at?

depends on the set up. my 9/0 with 50lb is set at 16-18lbs, 12/0 with 80 is set at 28-30lbs and the 80W with 130 is set at 40lbs at strike. not sure what it is at full. 65 or 70 i think. always set it at 1/3rd the breaking strength. also, check what its set at with half a spool.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice shark, those Sandbars are a blast. my son caught a 7fter Sandbar in SC last week he was using my Avet 80W and it is set at 30lbs at strike, it was peeling drag like it was heading to Florida I increased the drag for him and slowed him down but at 30lbs I was really surprised how big of a run the shark made after he hooked up, it was screaming, I could see how it could dump a 9/0 I increased the drag a lot before it slowed down, my daughter and I just had to hold onto my son so he didn't get pulled into the Atlantic, I was really surprised to see how strong the big shark was
Congrats on a great catch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's a nice fish. There is no reason for a sandbar of any size to dump a 9/0 unless the drag is just worn out and cant produce the numbers or the reel is under spooled which looks to be the case based on the picture posted in the thread. That reel looks to be short between a quarter and third of a spool. 2 years ago I caught a sandbar in NC that went 98", its the largest I have ever seen aside of one caught about 5 years ago also in nc. I caught it on a daiwa 900h which is basicly a 9/0 just a few better features. It handled it with ease. Sandbars fight hard but they are not freight trains.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
That's a nice fish. There is no reason for a sandbar of any size to dump a 9/0 unless the drag is just worn out and cant produce the numbers or the reel is under spooled which looks to be the case based on the picture posted in the thread. That reel looks to be short between a quarter and third of a spool. 2 years ago I caught a sandbar in NC that went 98", its the largest I have ever seen aside of one caught about 5 years ago also in nc. I caught it on a daiwa 900h which is basicly a 9/0 just a few better features. It handled it with ease. Sandbars fight hard but they are not freight trains.
It was a very long drop is all, i'd say there was 80 yards on the reel max after the drop!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since there were already a few pages on the thread that I started live while sharking a couple nights ago I decided I'd just make a new one for the pictures. Here is the 82'' sandbar that James caught. He got spooled on a 9/0 on this & was lucky enough to have the knot on the spool hold! Austin was able to grab the line & pull the shark in a few yards so James could pick up a few cranks on the spool & then the fight was on again! 30-35 minutes later we had this bad boy on the beach.

Tight lines everyone.
Haha that's one of my best friends from middle school, James and Austin!! Small world!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts