Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We hit the chevron first. I did a solo there.
Water temp. Awesome
Vis- blue as can be in the first 40fsw. 40 ft after that.
Found one bug. Shot and lost a 30+ and 50+ AJ. Both head shots eventually pulled. The 50+ was pushing me into deco and fighting like hell.
Saw a nice Goliath in one of the vertical pipes
Next stop Antares. Again, temps were great. Vis was awesome. Saw a nice gag for a split second. Plenty of short AJ. Some decent snapper. Watched bobos dart through the bait at depth.

The other guys did one on the Antares and one on the Phillips. Surprisingly, no sharks were seen on the Phillips. A first for sure.

A great day on the water. Of course, the one foot or less was a bit off.

·
Registered
692 Posts
well, at least you got wet!

interesting you said the forcast was off.
We decided to head to the rigs yesterday AM and it was rough enough we almost aborted but the farther south we got the calmer it got until it was SLICK

the weatherman actually got it a RIGHT out where we were

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It certainly wasn't bad. What made it seem worse was the first spot was 22 miles dead into them. After that, the rest of the day was cake. Not the "one foot or less" that was forecasted, but I've had far worse days for sure.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
What type of spear tip are you using?

I just switched to an "ice pick" tip for bigger fish and now I am a fan. It is hard to see how that tip could pull out on a head shot.

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Brian a lot of times a shot in the head will hit a bone and not go all the way through and pull out without stonning the fish.

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using the tip that looks like an arrow head or spade. Very sharp.
Sealark is right on point with the 50+ fish. It nailed bone. I was baffled that fish even moved. I watched the video and it was a stone shot for sure. I was only using two 5/8 bands (I think that was the issue).
On the 30+ fish, I got a 45 degree angle in his port eye, barely breaching starboard cheek.

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did get video. The bobos are just at the gopros range. They are almost not visible. Due to the pain of editing, the 10 seconds of Goliath footage is not worth the effort.

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will say, those bobos were like jet fighters. I couldn't figure out what they were until I saw the fourth or fifth one. I've never seen anything move that fast at 120fsw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts