Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went home to central florida this weekend for a three day quota hunt on a small management area. It was so nice to get back in the woods!

Day 1 I had a huge deer under me before i had any shooting light, he moved off after a few minutes. Had a several hogs come by, didnt take any shots. Saw a few more deer out of range, one possibly a buck.

Day 2 didn't see as much, just a few hogs. Moved to another spot for the afternoon and saw a good sized cinnamon colored boar hog start moving towards me, he was so cool looking i decided i'd shoot him, but he winded me and took off before he got into range.

On the last day of the hunt I could only hunt the morning, so I decided to shoot any and all pigs that would come in. 7:10 am, about a 60-70 pound boar walked up, I stuck him and he took off. About an hour later had a doe come in and start munching on acorns, after lingering around for 10 or 15 minutes she finally offered me a perfect quartering away shot and I let one fly. Man hearing that thwack when an arrow hits a deer is the best sound in the world!! She ran took off across the fence and I figured she wasn't going far. Got down an hour or so later and started tracking the deer first. Had a great blood trail that went 60 or 70 yards into this switchgrass marsh, and just as I started losing the trail I looked up and saw just the arrow sticking up out of the grass. She weighed in at 68 pounds, perfect eating! Then I started tracking that hog, wasn't confident that i'd find it though. When I shot it I saw a lot of arrow sticking out when he ran off, so i figured I didn't penetrate that shield enough. Had a good blood trail for maybe 100 yards, but never did find him. Anyway, it was an awesome hunt and great getting back in the woods, it was especially good starting the season in the woods that i first learned to hunt in!

Oh yeah! In between the morning and evening hunts on the first day, me and my friend when on a rabbit hunt on the St. Johns river. Long story short, we killed 17 marsh rabbits in under an hour. It was insane! I've never seen a concentration of rabbits like that before.

Pics of the deer and rabbit hunt are on the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds exciting,

I drove to Pensacola for opening day and saw One 4 pt and a doe. Nothing close enough for a shot. What part of Central Florida do you hunt? \

Kevin

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hunt the management areas in the Seminole, Brevard and Volusia county area...Salt Lake, Buck Lake, Seminole Ranch, etc. This weekend was on the Kilbee Unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been to3 Forks and Tripple N with very little success. Way too many people just out for a ride on the four wheeler. Thinking of hunting the SJWM / Malabar area but it is all walk-in and I have heard you need to walk 2-3 miles down the dike to find huntable areas.

I live right off 95 and 520 and suggestion for finding some good areas?

Kevin

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gblack15 (10/16/2007)I have been to3 Forks and Tripple N with very little success. Way too many people just out for a ride on the four wheeler. Thinking of hunting the SJWM / Malabar area but it is all walk-in and I have heard you need to walk 2-3 miles down the dike to find huntable areas.

I live right off 95 and 520 and suggestion for finding some good areas?

Kevin

Tosohatchee is supposed to be awesome, haven't been there myself. I know for a fact the St. Johns prairie has some stud bucks out there, it would just be pretty tough. Seminole Ranch isn't far from there either, also has pretty good hunting. They're both quota hunt areas though, but Seminole Ranch is open during small game, good chance to get to know the area a little and maybe shoot a pig. Three Lakes isn't too far from there either, i've only turkey hunted out there but i've seen plenty of deer and hogs there. I beleive its open to anyone after the first nine days of the season, but I could be wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts