Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone had a week in Mid July 19th-25 in Key Largo, with a 20' Skiff what would you prepare to fish for, and how.

If you had never hooked a Tarpon but wanted to all you 50 year life, how would you try while you were in Key Largo.

I no this is a crazy way to ask. But my wife and I met and were married there 30 years ago, and we will be returning this year (her suggestion), and she suggest I bring the boat. I live West of Atlanta and can't wait.

email: [email protected]:usaflag

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not sure about the tarpon in July, but the lobster are a hell of alot of fun to get. Shallow coral and rocks near Pennycamp have plenty. Bring the snorkeling gear in case the fish aren't cooperating. I have seen some big tarpon caught around the bridges in the evenings. You now have all of my Keys knowledge, don't spend itall in one place. Wish I was going soon, haven't been in a few years.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I fished out of Islamarada once in July. We fished for Tarpon near a bridge using live crabs with a float about 4' above the bait. This was late afternoon until midnight fishing (with a guide). We caught 5 Tarpon that evening avg size about 75 lbs.

Nest morning we went trolling for Mahi. We never caught any big Mahi, but we found the chicken mahi and loaded the boat. I don't remember going over 2-3 miles offshore. We did see a free jumping sail that day, but no hook ups. I didn't arrange the guide, so I can't tell you a name, but we met him at Ricks Marina. I believe I could have done anything he did with my 20' bay boat.

Good luck!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Between Matecumbe key and Islamorada there are three channels that run under the bridge. Use cut bait and let your bait drift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts