Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a productive night last nite, the hogs were moving early. Sawman shot his w the SSA 85gr Barnes TSX, mine the SSA 110gr TSX, poor little one was standing behind the sow when I shot, got it in the him w the pass through and the finished it off. Pru was about 600yds away in another stand, we always wait 20-30 minutes after a shot to see if they come back out and another group came out in his area right on que! Pork on the Grill!

Free range, no fence

Attachments

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys and even HIS(LOL), you just don't realize the work & $$ it takes on a lease to develop and maintain. We are not young any longer but will enjoy it as long as we can!

·
Registered
569 Posts
just wondering, do they tase any different from any farm pig?
Mature boars need some assistance getting the strong game taste out (soaked in milk, juice, vinegar, etc and most of the time folks make sausage from big boys as steaks/cutlets just aren't that pleasant) -however the sows taste better than farm pigs, IMO.

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Realtor, Not if you process them properly, mine are in salt water brine for 2-4 days, to me it tastes better.

Yeah the hunting we get the bugs but cleaning we use like a yard guard fogger and no problems at all, we hunt all year, gotta be tough...LOL

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
just wondering, do they tase any different from any farm pig?

Frank's pigs must be eating a lot of corn. :D

I harvested some no kidding, no feeder, no food plot pigs at couple of years ago on public land -- big sow and a medium boar. Kept one shoulder and the loin from the sow. Had the rest of the sow and the boar ground up into sausage by the Deer Shack in Panama City. Sausage was awesome...no fat...good flavor. Had the shoulder slow cooked by a local BBQ place that has the best Boston Butt and ribs that I have ever had (and I have spent lots of time in Texas where good beef and pork is). Even with pulled domestic pork added to the shoulder (they pulled it all for me and mixed it), we could hardly eat it. The ol' boy said it was the toughest thing he ever tried to cook. The loin was small compared to a domestic pig and no matter how many different ways we tried it (baked, grilled, fried) it was unedible.

That's my experience with wild pigs...YMMV.

btw Frank, congrats on the hunt.

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bcbz, well i know for a fact the deer Shack does not brine, at best they hang them in the locker and maybe the time is was not enough. They are not all going to taste the same or be as tender. Sometime the wide ranging boars can be tough because of the distances they travel and i bet that was it w yours. We seldom even take meat on hogs over 250lbs and the larger one have to be tougher too. Most of the time i take the backstraps and the rear hams but have even run into a couple smaller hogs that were tougher, genetics maybe?

We do feed corn but not meal size portions as it is just too darn high so most of their diet is native...maybe they don't travel as much, lazy hogs=tender meat...LOL

·
Registered
114 Posts
Greetings Frank! Just came back from one appointment and my next big operation will be October 3rd. I would love to go with you guys one night, if not to shoot, just to get out of the house. A night in the woods is the best physical/mental therapy there is.
Congrats on the pigs!

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,671 Posts
Greetings Frank! Just came back from one appointment and my next big operation will be October 3rd. I would love to go with you guys one night, if not to shoot, just to get out of the house. A night in the woods is the best physical/mental therapy there is.
Congrats on the pigs!
I understand exactly where your comming from. I've had some pretty extensive medical procedures in the past two years that have knocked me out of the game, but the woods are a great motivated for exercise, fresh air, and just plain getting your head right. Hopefully Frank can get you on a hog, and I sure wish you the best with you health:thumbsup:

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,671 Posts
Ohhh and frank..... You could have had the same results with a 3030:whistling:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts