Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy and I tried to go offshore this afternoon. Buoy was saying 1’. Actually was 2-3 with the occasional 4. Cape Horn 24XS handled it fine, but we couldn’t stay on a spot with A Rhoda’s. Sheesh, need better weather forecast!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were trying to go 18 miles. Only made it 7 miles. I had a few spots there that looked like they had fish on em, but the Rhodan was getting pushed around like it wasn’t even on. Waves were occasionally cresting over my bow. After about 45 minutes we gave up and headed north.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That buoy report was probably right when you read it earlier. Went out 12.8 miles in my 19' Key West at 9ish and ran 34 mph going out. Came back in at 3ish and at first ran 24 slowing down to 10 as we got closer inshore!!

It built up after 1 a bunch. And all the red's we caught were too short.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
Buddy and I tried to go offshore this afternoon. Buoy was saying 1’. Actually was 2-3 with the occasional 4. Cape Horn 24XS handled it fine, but we couldn’t stay on a spot with A Rhoda’s. Sheesh, need better weather forecast!
Forget forecast. Here is a rule of thumb that worked for me for a long long time. For every 5 knots of wind you will have 1 foot of waves. Prolonged high wind will produce even greater waves. Find a good wind speed site, and you can figure it out more closely then they ever will. That is why we called NOAA, NOWAY!

·
Registered
471 Posts
We didn't leave the dock until around 2pm yesterday afternoon. Sure, the conditions weren't that great and the rhodan couldn't keep us on a spot, but we still caught our 5 man limit. Can't be so 100% reliant on that trolling motor, have to adjust.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Forget forecast. Here is a rule of thumb that worked for me for a long long time. For every 5 knots of wind you will have 1 foot of waves. Prolonged high wind will produce even greater waves. Find a good wind speed site, and you can figure it out more closely then they ever will. That is why we called NOAA, NOWAY!

That is great advice ...thanks for sharing!:notworthy:

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,826 Posts
We were trying to go 18 miles. Only made it 7 miles. I had a few spots there that looked like they had fish on em, but the Rhodan was getting pushed around like it wasn’t even on. Waves were occasionally cresting over my bow. After about 45 minutes we gave up and headed north.
You've found what happens 78% of the time in the summer. 21% of the time its the east or west wind doing that.
You want the 1% afternoon.

·
Registered
588 Posts
NOAA had the wind increasing to 13-18 knots out of the west in the afternoon (they should have adjusted their sea heights). I moved my trip from 2pm to 11am. Just beat the chop. I would have canceled in my 20’ boat if couldn’t have gotten away earlier. Agree that studying the wind is the right way to go.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That WSW wind really kicked up in the afternoon, more than the usual it seemed to me. Was really nice from about 0700 till around 1230 where we were, about 9 miles off the beach. By 230 the wind was really howling as we were going back into Sherman Cove. My neighbor was 25 miles out and had a long slog back in due to the wind kicking up. Amazing what difference a few hours can make!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We didn't leave the dock until around 2pm yesterday afternoon. Sure, the conditions weren't that great and the rhodan couldn't keep us on a spot, but we still caught our 5 man limit. Can't be so 100% reliant on that trolling motor, have to adjust.
I’m glad you guys got em. It wasn’t the trolling motor that did us in. We didn’t leave the dock til 4:00 and I just didn’t want to catch a fish bad enough to fight the waves. Plus I’m guessing with 5 guys your boat is bigger than mine. If not, then your balls certainly are.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts