Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the cold front moving in & the water conditions less-than-ideal, we decided to go out & prove that we're worth our salt! Tyler, Mitch & I met Josh in Gulf Breeze around 12:15AM to gas up the boat & get rigged up. Hit the water by about 10 after 1 & headed for the opposite end of the bridge. Not five minutes into fishing Tyler & I have a double-header going on bulls! After Tyler not getting hooked up at all on our previous outing, it was awesome to see him finally linked up with his first bull. Get them both landed & photographed & then back to the rough waters they went. That puts both team Rekt & team Back it Up on the board with one red each. We knew it was only a matter of time before one team was going to pull ahead. Every cast seemed like it was going to be "the one," & it turned out that a lot of them were. We had a ton of hookups throughout the next three hours on the water, but circumstance & horrible coincidences kept us from landing a number of them. I'd like to not revisit any of those instances, because most of them weren't in my favor. I will say, however, that Mitch had three bulls shake the hook, Josh lost a monster, & I had THREE more bulls literally thrashing boatside before "things" happened & caused them to not be boarded on the Mako. It's all good though, because Tyler got not only his first bull, which is what I was really hoping would happen, but he also got a nice 33.75'' one too. In addition to that, Mitch got a nice 26.5'' slot, which we'll be using to make fish tacos with tonight. Josh also managed to bring three on board, & Mitch landed three more besides his slot too, with one of them being a 38.5'' hawg - the largest of the night! Around 5AM we decided to call it quits. Left with the fish still biting because the water was getting a bit too rough & we were taking on a lot of water. Had the boat loaded up by 5:45 & then headed to Waffle House for an early breakfast before we all went home to crash. All in all, it was a killer night on the water, definitely a night to remember!

Tally for the night:

Team Back it Up
(4 reds)
Me: 31'' bull
Josh: 29.5'' bull, 31'' bull, & a 31.25'' bull

Team Rekt (VICTORS) (6 reds)
Tyler: 30.5'' bull & 33.75'' bull (new personal record)
Mitch: 26.5'' slot, 29.5'' bull, fat 35.5'' bull, & a hoss 38.5'' bull

Tight lines everyone!

Attachments

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the rest of the photos! With the exception of Mitch's slot, which is in a cooler at Josh's house & won't get photographed until we go there later for dinner.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
water temp dropped down to 53*
cold snap rolled in a day prior down to high 20*
air temp high 30*
wind speed 15knots
wind direction NE
water chop high
outgoing tide
lots of water movement
partly cloudy
3/4 moon
air press: 1026
birds were working close to mid of 3MB on Pcola side
lure of the day 1oz jighead with 8" twisty tail--- spoons pulled their weight as well
more hook up came from near bottom
fish were on the bridge pilings to 10' off into the light
no signs flipper
marked less bait / white trout
action was high every light had a fish or a school of fish holding to it
many double and triple hook ups
average bull being caught is approx. 33"
more slot fish are starting show as compared to Fall

I must say that was a drastically EPIC night between us hooking up in a manner of doubles and one triple the boat drifting at a almost uncontrollable speed and the fish going into bridge pilings and or any direction in which they wanted other than the easiest way we had our work cut out for us hahaha Mitch doing his acrobatic stunts trying to keep his body from flaying overboard while fighting a fish from the bow Tyler fighting bulls with only 2lbs of drag set, Sawyer popping off any fish that decided to taste his hooks and me trying to fish while fighting the current and or bull it was a true testament of what a couple of Young Guns can do, in the harshest weather Pensacola has to offer, this is why I choose these guys to fish with not only do we always have a blast between a unbarring amount of sarcasm and Jokes thrown across the boat but this is what true Anglers are made of, to be able to go out when no else would even think about it ( winterize their boat ) and catch just as many fish as when the fishing is at its best in any given season. Wintertime has plenty of good fishing there are sheepies holding to structure, specks balled up in holes, stripers roving the rivers, and red fish can be caught in a number of different patterns; so dress for the occasion and get some the fishing is good I cant complain still catch plenty of fish in the Bay and connecting river bayous. If you are a motivated fishermen at the house organizing all your fishing gear in your garage just because the sun isn't shining you should think about putting the cleaning gear away and put you equipment to work there is plenty of action to be had.

TIGHT LINES!!!!!!! GATOR SPECKS ARE LURKING AROUNG THE CORNER HAHAHA

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Some good numbers there guys, good job :thumbup: Looks cold.
Its about that time to land some gators cold snaps falling temps mind 50* water temp sounds like prime time just need the water to stabilize for a couple of days and I can put my money on the specks being in all their holes again. They should move to our river spots again sometime this week, I got a feeling that the bait will push up as long as we don't get a bunch of rain again.:shifty:

And if the specks decide to still have lock jaws we can investigate what my buddy in the striped suit is up to

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Its about that time to land some gators cold snaps falling temps mind 50* water temp sounds like prime time just need the water to stabilize for a couple of days and I can put my money on the specks being in all their holes again. They should move to our river spots again sometime this week, I got a feeling that the bait will push up as long as we don't get a bunch of rain again.:shifty:

And if the specks decide to still have lock jaws we can investigate what my buddy in the striped suit is up to
Sounds good man, this cold and wind should have all the trout up in the rivers by now. Time to start checking some of the secret holes. I can guarantee the striper have been roaming the last few days. If we get some sunny days the bayou trout will be on fire. Been working on the boat all week trying to get it done so we can have a little more freedom to move around. Gonna be out of town at the lake all weekend but let me know what you have planned next week when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
You guys truly know how to do it and it seems as though you have an absolute grand time doing it!!! Thanks for sharing all this - I think there were about 3 reports in this one post. Excellent photos as well. Those are some beautiful fish.

It was a COLD night but the bite was HOT!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts