Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a three week long hiatus from saltwater fishing due to my need to fly up to Wisconsin for winter break to see family & to work, I was itching to get back on the water when I got here on Saturday. Sunday night out at Sykes proved to be unsuccessful, so I called Josh yesterday to see what he thought about hitting 3 Mile last night & he said he was down! So around 8:45 Tyler, my buddy from Wisconsin who drove down here with me a few days ago, & I went to go meet Josh over by the base. Mitch was passed out at home from a long day at work so while he was catching some z's Tyler, Josh & I went to Pompano Joe's to talk fishing for a while & drop off some gear. After spending about two hours more than originally planned there, we finally left & went to go get the boat. Picked up the boat & gave Mitch a call to let him know to meet us at the boat ramp so we could go get on some fish! By 12:30 we were finally on the water & ready to rock. Josh wanted to run to the opposite end of 3 Mile, but I said we should hit our normal stretch of lights because I had a good feeling. On Josh's second cast he casted his twistertail up over the bridge & then popped it over the side right underneath the light. Not five seconds later he's hooked up with the first drag-screaming bull of the night! After a killer battle I netted a healthy 37.25'' bull for him. Dang, what a great start for Team Back it Up! About that time I texted Nathan (MoganMan) & let him know that we had already boated a big bull. He replied that it was bad luck to start a trip off with a big fish. Ironically enough, the next hour was nothing but mayhem. Between me breaking the top 15'' of my 8' Stellar Lite off, Mitch almost hooking one of Josh's rod setups & throwing it overboard, & Tyler getting 30 yards of line wrapped around a HUGE redfish (AKA, the prop), you could say the night wasn't looking too hot. But after we got everything sorted out we pulled it together & put the heat on them! Well, Josh & Mitch did... Mitch was throwing a 1.5 oz. silver spoon with a prism-style decal on it all night, & this sure seemed to be the ticket for the bigger bulls. Around 3:30AM, Mitch hooked into what would prove to be about eight minutes of spool-cupping, drag washer burning, piling dodging, & finger crossing that the fish on the other end of his line would cooperate crazy action! Finally I scooped up an absolute MONSTER for him! Measuring 41'' & over 30 pounds, this was truly a bull redfish to be proud of! As always we encouraged her to participate in a photoshoot before releasing her, to which she politely obliged. After an awesome photo we sent her on her way. Success! It's also worth mentioning that I finally managed to pull it together about 10 minutes before we got off the water, at which point I hooked into a perfect 27'' slot. Shortly after that we headed back to the ramp to load up the boat & then go grab some breakfast at iHOP. Man am I excited for a blackened redfish dinner tonight!

Tally for the night:

Team Back it Up
Me: 27'' slot
Josh: 31'' bull, 32'' bull, & a chunky 37.25'' bull

Team Rekt
Mitch: 35'' bull, 38'' bull, & a hoss 41'' bull (new personal record)
Tyler: Struck out

Tight lines everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
water temp 56*
moon full
tide outgoing
wind 8knots blowing from NE
outside temp 45
clear skies
slight chop
fish holding within 15ft of bridge
suspended bites
lure of the day Spoon action on twisty's and topwater as well
time 0030-0500 06jan15
days prior-- heavy winds and rain
moderate fast drift speed
lots of bait in the water 2-4" long minnow/shiner type bait
birds working Pensacola side of 3MB as tide turned
dolphins working gulf breez side 3MB

The Green Horn Tyler is on Deck, to catch a fish ASAP I'll get you Hooked UP Bro no worries last night was your training day the next time you will know what to expect, great day on the water boys hahaha got to love it

SCREEMIN BURNIN DRAGS RODS DOUBLED OVER AND HANDS FULL OF GIANT PENSACOLA RED FISH TIGHT LINES

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
So let me see if I've got this right…You bring Tyler all the way from Wisconsin and didn't let him catch a fish??? THAT'S JUST RUDE! I feel your pain Tyler.
I think he needs a better combo hint hint seriously though the casting performance on his setup now isnt the best and presentation all starts at the initial cast

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
& here's a shot of the blackened redfish before it was devoured for dinner tonight!

Had it with Spanish rice, black beans, & corn & it was PHENOMENAL! :chef:

Attachments

·
Reel Anglers
394 Posts
Good job on the Bulls guys can't wait for our epic fishing trip in two weeks in Louisiana Mitch U better bring ur A game we have to beat team back it up

·
Reel Anglers
394 Posts
Ok my turn to put my 2 cents in fishing is fishing it is fun honestly if I had a friend out here and I was from another state I would want to catch the biggest fish that I could just so I could show my friends back home what I caught. Secondly it is nice when U can have a friendly competition with your friends to see who can catch the biggest fish and if they or whoever what to brag about what they did let them I don't see the big deal in posting about fishing and letting everyone else in on the joy that U shared . Thirdly I have gone fishing with these guys and I can tell u one of them serves in the military one goes to school full time and has a job on the side and the other one has a full time job so if they want to go fishing at midnight or 1 in the morning because that is the only time they can all hang out and fish together then what is the point . I just like fishing and so do these guys can't we all just go out and have a good time fishing and post whatever we want on the forum without people getting so upset . :)

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Ok my turn to put my 2 cents in fishing is fishing it is fun honestly if I had a friend out here and I was from another state I would want to catch the biggest fish that I could just so I could show my friends back home what I caught. Secondly it is nice when U can have a friendly competition with your friends to see who can catch the biggest fish and if they or whoever what to brag about what they did let them I don't see the big deal in posting about fishing and letting everyone else in on the joy that U shared . Thirdly I have gone fishing with these guys and I can tell u one of them serves in the military one goes to school full time and has a job on the side and the other one has a full time job so if they want to go fishing at midnight or 1 in the morning because that is the only time they can all hang out and fish together then what is the point . I just like fishing and so do these guys can't we all just go out and have a good time fishing and post whatever we want on the forum without people getting so upset . :)
you go girl:yes:
:tank:
shots fired

1 - 20 of 55 Posts