Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Josh had off work Monday & the forecast looked perfect, so him, Nathan & I loaded up the Mako & ran 12 miles to try to find some AJs. We definitely found plenty, but they wouldn't touch anything. Tried freelining live bait, chunking, & dropping jigs & they wouldn't touch any of it. Nathan actually started cutting up ruby red lips & got them chummed up within 10' of the boat, but they wouldn't touch any chunks with hooks in them. Some huge red snapper came up & started eating all the chunked up rubies as well. It was cool to see, but super frustrating! Did have a few shots at hookups with AJs but just couldn't capitalize. No breakoffs, but pulled hooks were the name of the game. ALSO very frustrating. All we ended up landing were some strange looking red fish which appear to be a part of the snapper family? Someone enlighten me, because I've never seen one of these fish before. Surely they're endangered! Nathan really was pretty happy to catch his biggest ARS though, which measured at 29'' & was super fat. Also had a big turtle hanging near the boat for most of the trip too, which I tried to get a picture of but didn't do so well. Enjoyed a great sunset on the water & then made the run back in to go relax for a while. Beautiful day on the water, that's for sure!

Tally for the day:

Me: :no:
Josh: 18,302 ruby redlips
Nathan: A small ARS, a 29'' fat ARS (new personal record), & 17.2 billion ruby redlips

Tight lines everyone!

Attachments

·
OSOK
4,172 Posts
Good report, looks like y'all had a beautiful day on the water.

What sized leader and hooks were you using to free line live baits? Sometimes those state water jacks can be leader/tackle shy. I've gone down to 40lb flouro to get a bite before.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good report, looks like y'all had a beautiful day on the water.

What sized leader and hooks were you using to free line live baits? Sometimes those state water jacks can be leader/tackle shy. I've gone down to 40lb flouro to get a bite before.
I bumped down to 60 lb. with a light wire 5/0 Mustad hoping that that would be the ticket & they still wouldn't eat! I wish I would have had 40 with me, I sure would have tried that. I'll have to keep some lighter stuff with me from now on just in case that happens again. Never realized how finicky they could be!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Awesome pictures man looked nice out there.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Man I thought chumming was going to turn our luck around but all we got was an awesome, frustrating experience watching half a dozen 30-40lb ajs and monster red snapper eating my chum 10 ft under the boat!

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man I thought chumming was going to turn our luck around but all we got was an awesome, frustrating experience watching half a dozen 30-40lb ajs and monster red snapper eating my chum 10 ft under the boat!
I never thought that seeing so many big fish would have me so frustrated!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts