Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got back on the water after being messed up with a cold or something for a while. Took the yak out to Black Water Bay and found a school of specks holding under and just south of the I-10 bridge over the bay. I managed to release about a dozen undersized fish plus 6 keepers in 1.5 hours. The biggest was 17inches.

Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Good report and fish, Kanaka and I were over there last Friday and did pretty good in the same area. Where do you launch you yak to fish that area? I don't know the area that well and the only 2 ramps I know of are up river.

Thanks

·
Registered
879 Posts
Nice report, Alex. Glad you got over that cold so you could get outside on this beautiful day. I fished the GB bayous today and caught jack. Let's just say that I'm not a happy camper as that brings my score to 1 for 15 for catching fish out of my last 15 trips. There is a skunk on my back and he's holding on tight. The negative low tide did let me get a better understanding of the area though. Sometimes I wonder why I even try this time of year if I keep getting these same results year after year...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PennFish (1/18/2010)Good report and fish, Kanaka and I were over there last Friday and did pretty good in the same area. Where do you launch you yak to fish that area? I don't know the area that well and the only 2 ramps I know of are up river.

Thanks

I put in at the end of Forsyth St in Bagdad, it was my 1st time at that spot. It's not much of a ramp, I'm not sure I'd recommend putting in anything bigger than a canoe.

Taylor, man you gotta come up to this neck of the woods. The upper bays are the places to be this time of year.

Alex

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[email protected] (1/18/2010)Nice! We went today in the evening and didnt catch crap...actually Tim caught a 15 incher but other than that...nada!

WOW, a skunk for Tex?!!! I didn't think it was possible. This must be a new tactic to lure the unsuspecting newbees into yak wars by making them think they have a chance before you annihilate them? :shedevil :poke

Alex

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yeah, I know, but I still can't get over the $7 it takes to get up there and back. Maybe I'll work something out after class one of these days and hit it from campus, so it'll only cost $3.50.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yaksquatch (1/18/2010)WOW, a skunk for Tex?!!! I didn't think it was possible. This must be a new tactic to lure the unsuspecting newbees into yak wars by making them think they have a chance before you annihilate them? :shedevil :poke

Alex
Hey Alex... Are you already on a team? If not talk to Blueh20fisher and Chanman.. They both fish with Tex and I a lot and are looking for some good team members.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YakFlies (1/18/2010)
Yaksquatch (1/18/2010)WOW, a skunk for Tex?!!! I didn't think it was possible. This must be a new tactic to lure the unsuspecting newbees into yak wars by making them think they have a chance before you annihilate them? :shedevil :poke

Alex
Hey Alex... Are you already on a team? If not talk to Blueh20fisher and Chanman.. They both fish with Tex and I a lot and are looking for some good team members.

I'm on Bloody Waters, but thanks anyway. I'm looking forward to competing.

Alex

·
Registered
210 Posts
So you made it through the tryouts.. Good job!

Sorry for derailing your report.. Nice job on the trout.. Saw a kayaker paddling near 3mb today and I thought it was you. Had a blue kayak like yours.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yakflies,

You saw me out there today. Alex and I have the same kayak. I try to wave at people with yaks or racks on top their cars.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was hoping to see a blackwater report from yesterday (1-18-10).I also was down therefishing too .I was the guy in the blue and gray bass boat (not the guy trolling around around right next to you). The bite died right after you left. Everythingi caught but onewas under the slot. I'm building a 16' pirogue with my son(it's about 75% done), so i might be down there with you guys this spring. We plan on using it like a kayak. Nice report!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
eric m (1/19/2010)I was hoping to see a blackwater report from yesterday (1-18-10).I also was down therefishing too .I was the guy in the blue and gray bass boat (not the guy trolling around around right next to you). The bite died right after you left. Everythingi caught but onewas under the slot. I'm building a 16' pirogue with my son(it's about 75% done), so i might be down there with you guys this spring. We plan on using it like a kayak. Nice report!

Yeah man, that spot started to get a little crowded. At least is wasn't Boca Grand Pass, I still managed to snake a couple fish out from under the guys that buzzed me, they weren't too close anyway. When the fish stack up in schools that dense, there are plenty to go around in a small area.

Good luck with the pirogue, I used to fish from a canoe but switched to the yak since it's easier to handle solo.

See you out there,

Alex

1 - 16 of 16 Posts