Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night couldn't have been any better. Nathan, Mitch, & I met Josh at the ramp around 7 & were on the water by 7:30. First fifteen minutes were slow, but after that it was pretty much on for the rest of the night. When I say it was on, I don't mean that it was easy. We definitely had to work for the fish. We had to keep switching up jig sizes, depths, types of areas we worked, & so on. 8'' chartreuse twistertails were definitely the ticket though. We were really hoping for a topwater bite, but they wouldn't touch either of the topwaters that Josh & I were throwing. Fished till 4AM, at which point we left them biting. One cool thing worth noting was that when Nathan & I were unhooking his last bull of the night we saw something sticking out of its mouth. Nathan held her mouth open & I reached in with the pliers to grab it so we could see what it had been eating. It turned out to be about a 15'' long eel! No wonder why the huge twistertails work so well out there. Anyways, we could have stayed & wrecked them until daylight, but we were all exhausted & ready to go put on some dry clothes (the humidity was nuts!) & get some breakfast at Denny's. Another amazing trip with the boys - can't wait to get out there again!

Tally for the night: [20 bulls]

Team Rekt: (7 bulls)
Nathan:33'', 35.5'', 37'', 38'', 38'', & 38.25''
Mitch: A hoss 39.25'' fatty

Team Back it Up: (13 bulls) The Victors!
Josh: 34'', 35'', 38.25'', & a monster 39''
Me: 28'', 28.5'', 30.5'', 31.5'', 34'', 35.5'', 39.25'', a super fat 39.5'' & a 40.5'' beast (largest fish of the night, & also a new personal record for amount of bulls caught in one trip!)

Tight lines everyone.

Attachments

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Second set of photos!

Attachments

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Third set of photos! The last three photos in this set are all of the same fish, which was the 40.5'' beast that ended up being the largest fish of the night!

Attachments

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
& here's the final set of photos...

Attachments

·
Reel Anglers
394 Posts
Nice guys team rekt we have to beat team back it up lol nice pictures

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
YEP Just fishin with the boys again and the crew and myself once again put the mile to the test and boy did she not upset, tons of fun having a blast with good friends more good times in the story banks if anyone is ready to hook up and be part of the wrecking crew just say "I"

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
Man, you guys put the 'Smack-Down' on 'em again.

Thought Mitch had the Mojo with his grandpa's fly vest but I guess Nathan jumped him with that awesome, Magic Kingdom, Frontierland pullover.

Seriously though, very interesting that they are coughing up eels at this time of the year. We are paying a fortune, in the spring, for ones imported from Delaware and the place is lousy with em.

Just a question. Are you guys using mono or braid on those baitcasters.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a question. Are you guys using mono or braid on those baitcasters.
Braid sir, Josh has 80 lb. PowerPro on his Revo Toro NaCl60 & I have 40 lb. PowerPro on my Revo Toro NaCl50.

Love the comment about Nathan & Mitch's apparel too. Classic. Hahaha. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Awesome night boys, now I know how Selina felt the other night when she was carrying my weight!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Can I ask what rods (and size) you all are using with the Revos? I'm looking to add some baitcasting setups to compliment my spinning outfits.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can I ask what rods (and size) you all are using with the Revos? I'm looking to add some baitcasting setups to compliment my spinning outfits.
As far as our baitcasting setups that we use for bulls go....

Josh:
-Shimano Curado 300 loaded w/ 40 lb. braid on a 7' 6" Wright & McGill S-Curve rod
-Abu Garcia Revo Toro NaCl60 loaded with 80 lb. braid on a 7' 9" medium heavy action Abu Garcia Volatile rod

Me:
-Abu Garcia Revo Toro NaCl50 loaded with 40 lb. braid on an 8' heavy action Daiwa Ballistic rod
-Abu Garcia Revo Inshore baitcasting reel loaded with 30 lb. braid on a 7' 9" Wright & McGill S-Curve

Mitch:
Pflueger Supreme XT baitcast reel loaded with 30 lb. braid on a 7' medium action Falcon Coastal rod.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm gone put my hands on some of those and see how it feels. I see that a lot of people also like the curado and calcutta.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. I'm gone put my hands on some of those and see how it feels. I see that a lot of people also like the curado and calcutta.
Not a problem man! I think you'll like the Revo Toro NaCl/Volatile combo the best out of the ones I mentioned. Like Josh said, it's about the best combo for big bull reds you can get.

& I love Calcuttas! I had a 100B & I currently have a 400 & they're killer reels. Curados are alright, but they don't come close to the Revos when it comes to casting, drag power, or line capacity.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Super report. I know most of your tackle very well and you guys really know how to use it!!! You guys with the Revos and Volatiles should be wearing the "Abu Garcia for life" black hooded sweatshirts!!!
Dude.... we really do need to order those hoodies. Haha.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts