Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the area, just took a job with the fire department, and have been reading the forum for a few weeks now. My first two trips to escambia bay and surrounding creeks were very frustrating because I didnt have one single bite. Where I came from its all flats fishing in about 10inches to 4 feet of water. Even in the winter topwater has been my go to so needless to say its been an adjustment for me over here. We use topwater, gold spoons and artificial plastics year round. Finally went and got a few of the MR-17 and hard plastic twitch baits yall seem to love. I guess I finally found some of the deep hole I read about on here because I finally hooked up. 3 reds and 5 trout on the day. first red was about 17'', second 20'' and the third was the one in the photo, 25''. All the trout were between 17-21''. I found a deep creek with lots of bends and i fished the points and the bends and started hooking up like crazy. My transducer is broken right now but I stuck my 8ft anchor pole in the water and never hit bottom so it was a pretty deep creek. Used the MR-17 silver with the blue top. Looking forward to posting more and hopefully setting some hook with yall in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nice fish! yeah the mr17 is a great lure all year around here... Don't give up on the topwater just yet... same with the spoons and soft plastics... they eat all of those around here... I was picking up trout on topwater a week ago... if you don't mind where'd you move from?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Fantastic stuff! That is my favorite type of fishing and makes me realize I need to get a little further north in the bay during this time of year. Where did you come from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I moved over from tallahassee. St marks is about 30 minutes south of tallahassee and thats where I did most of my fishing. Lots of oyesters piles, tons of rocks, lots of grass flats, lots of creeks, and lots of redfish. I know there are lots of fish here as well I just have some studying and learning to do. There are so many different areas to fish here, any tips for some good topwater flats areas for the spring/summer?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I moved over from tallahassee. St marks is about 30 minutes south of tallahassee and thats where I did most of my fishing. Lots of oyesters piles, tons of rocks, lots of grass flats, lots of creeks, and lots of redfish. I know there are lots of fish here as well I just have some studying and learning to do. There are so many different areas to fish here, any tips for some good topwater flats areas for the spring/summer?
Welcome...

You know where Sopchoppy is?
My grand parents lived there, fished the Wakulla river w/ him & my dad many times...hunted in the forest for deer, hogs & squirrels...great memories.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Nice report, and dang nice catch. I'm in the same boat, did my fishing in Louisiana, and used to catching Reds 12" from the bank. Looks like you're quick on the uptake, I haven't figured out this deeper water with crankbaits deal at all, yet. Would probably work better if I started believing in it. You get to needing a ride share, shoot me a PM. Need to get my boat back in the water.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nice report, and dang nice catch. I'm in the same boat, did my fishing in Louisiana, and used to catching Reds 12" from the bank. Looks like you're quick on the uptake, I haven't figured out this deeper water with crankbaits deal at all, yet. Would probably work better if I started believing in it. You get to needing a ride share, shoot me a PM. Need to get my boat back in the water.
I moved from MS and we utilize trolling in the winter time over there... deep creeks and rivers...

As far as a springtime topwater bite over your way I'm not really familiar with the are so I couldn't tell ya... if you venture over into Mobile Bay I got a lot of em..

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Nice job man, upper Escambia Bay is my favorite area in the winter. Ive posted some good reports from Mulat in the past. When springtime rolls around, check out the flats at the mouths of these creeks out into the bay. Anywhere around Fishermans Point is a good place to start. If your looking for grass beds, look to Deer Point in the sound. Good luck!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I moved from MS and we utilize trolling in the winter time over there... deep creeks and rivers...

As far as a springtime topwater bite over your way I'm not really familiar with the are so I couldn't tell ya... if you venture over into Mobile Bay I got a lot of em..
Ah man! I just spent a year and a half in Foley, before moving over here. Could have used your help. I spent most of that time fishing in 2' of water in the creeks near Ft. Morgan. Did pretty well on Reds, but hardly caught a Speck the whole time. At least not keepers.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ah man! I just spent a year and a half in Foley, before moving over here. Could have used your help. I spent most of that time fishing in 2' of water in the creeks near Ft. Morgan. Did pretty well on Reds, but hardly caught a Speck the whole time. At least not keepers.
on the 3 rivers side of greater point clear? if so you were right by some prime speck spots.. I've caught one of my best trout in mobile bay around that area... actually planning my first trip to blackwater this saturday... gonna go look from some linesides... any tips?

·
Registered
861 Posts
on the 3 rivers side of greater point clear? if so you were right by some prime speck spots.. I've caught one of my best trout in mobile bay around that area... actually planning my first trip to blackwater this saturday... gonna go look from some linesides... any tips?
Yeah, from 3 rivers around the Point to Navy Cove. Hog Bayou, and a couple other creeks. Saxon Bay sound right? Did very well in there.
Sorry, wish I had tips for you. I've only been out a couple times over here, all my time has gone into the move and painting the new house. Getting caught up and hoping for some nicer weather. Good luck over there.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yeah, from 3 rivers around the Point to Navy Cove. Hog Bayou, and a couple other creeks. Saxon Bay sound right? Did very well in there.
Sorry, wish I had tips for you. I've only been out a couple times over here, all my time has gone into the move and painting the new house. Getting caught up and hoping for some nicer weather. Good luck over there.
Yep that's the area! some good fishing around there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts