Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

This was my first time out in my new Yak! All I can say is that I'm hooked! I know that I have a lot of learning to do but couldn't have asked for a better day than yesterday for my first time out.

I'm an experienced fisherman just not from a yak. After reading a bunch of post in this forum it gave me the confidence to get out there and catch some fish.

I was just planning on messing around learning the ropes of paddling and casting when all of a sudden some reds started tearing up the surface. Ready or not, it was time. Paddled over and very first cast hooked up on the 24" in the pic below. I was so unprepared to catch a fish that I didn't have my measurer in the boat and had to paddle all the way back to the truck to get it.

When I made it back to my spot the reds were still there. I was using a white super spook jr. and had about 5 retrieves where they were blowing it up all the way back to the boat, but just couldn't get one on. By that Time I had drifted from my spot and had to paddle back. As soon as I got back the very next cast hooked up on a 28" red that pulled me all over the place. I was using light tackle and I can tell you that this was one heck of a fight.

I wanted to share my first experience in my yak and say thank you to all the posts that I read. I look forward to reading more post and catching more fish. If anyone in the Milton area wants to get out on the water, let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice, did you plug your scuppers?
I did not. I tried getting some plugs before I went out but Academy was sold out and I didn't know who else would have them. I wish I had because it was a tad cold. I do plan on getting some though. I did find that my hull ended up with water in it and found that it was coming through the little storage that I have below my seat. Any Idea's on where I can find a seal or how I can seal it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts