The Good-The Bad-The Ugly-Again - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Charter Reports

Like Tree19Likes

Old 06-07-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default The Good-The Bad-The Ugly-Again

The Gulf is a "big" patch of water. I'm a fair to decent fisherman. You want to dog me all day--that's okay. I get that I don't own anything out there but if you've got bigger boat than me you must have decent electronics. Learn how to use them and learn how to catch fish for yourself. And for heaven sakes please don't limit out and then cull fish out of your fishbox for the next four hours. If you're reading this then you know who you are: you are the guys who were tossing very decent fish back into the water and leaving them to float away. The fish you killed looked like a weedline out there. Since I was attending to my clients I couldn't actually count the number you tossed but was able to count a total of more than a dozen very nice fish you tossed overboard. You want and expect the freedom to catch fish? This is not going to help your arguments for longer seasons and relaxed limits--Get it?
Deedubbya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
White Marlin

If the bite is that good....send those smaller ones back down right away...the right way. Give them a chance to grow up and be caught another day. Its folks like that, that give us all a bad rap. Oh, and don't use the excuse it's food for flipper and all the rest of whatever. Lame!!
Yo-Zuri likes this.

MC ...sharing is caring!
Mac1528 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Seafox 237 twin outboards
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedubbya View Post
The Gulf is a "big" patch of water. I'm a fair to decent fisherman. You want to dog me all day--that's okay. I get that I don't own anything out there but if you've got bigger boat than me you must have decent electronics. Learn how to use them and learn how to catch fish for yourself. And for heaven sakes please don't limit out and then cull fish out of your fishbox for the next four hours. If you're reading this then you know who you are: you are the guys who were tossing very decent fish back into the water and leaving them to float away. The fish you killed looked like a weedline out there. Since I was attending to my clients I couldn't actually count the number you tossed but was able to count a total of more than a dozen very nice fish you tossed overboard. You want and expect the freedom to catch fish? This is not going to help your arguments for longer seasons and relaxed limits--Get it?
Most fish seem to die when caught out of season, when you pull them up from the bottom. Even after giving the best care to release all the air in it's belly. They still seem to die.
Just because a fish is dead does not mean it goes to waste. It's the circle of life, that will take control of the situation,

It Made me sick 2 weeks ago, when we could not revive a monster gag caught on the bottom past the edge. We worked him for 10 minutes, released him to float, and then worked him for another 10 minutes. We left him alive and floating. We did everything that was possible to revive a fish. Maybe he came back to life and swam away.
But probably not.
People kill red snapper all year long, because they have to return the fish back to the water.
But I do understand your point of culling dead fish because they caught a bigger fish.
Federal red snapper season brings everyone out of the woods to catch the elusive red snapper.
Chapman5011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman5011 View Post
Most fish seem to die when caught out of season, when you pull them up from the bottom. Even after giving the best care to release all the air in it's belly. They still seem to die.
Just because a fish is dead does not mean it goes to waste. It's the circle of life, that will take control of the situation,

It Made me sick 2 weeks ago, when we could not revive a monster gag caught on the bottom past the edge. We worked him for 10 minutes, released him to float, and then worked him for another 10 minutes. We left him alive and floating. We did everything that was possible to revive a fish. Maybe he came back to life and swam away.
But probably not.
People kill red snapper all year long, because they have to return the fish back to the water.
But I do understand your point of culling dead fish because they caught a bigger fish.
Federal red snapper season brings everyone out of the woods to catch the elusive red snapper.
If everyone would just make a simple fish release alot more would live and it wouldn't cost you anything! Here's a very simple but effective rig! Put a big snap swivel upside down on top and you'll be able to snap it to any rig, Smash the barb. Hook the fish from the out side on the upper lip, open bail and drop fish. When at depth just jerk and reel, fish released and has a good chance of survival. I wish everyone would make and use one and save our fish for "our" next dinner. Thanks to those who do!
Attached Thumbnails
The Good-The Bad-The Ugly-Again-25034d1330798105-weight-release-001-jpg  

Last edited by lastcast; 06-07-2015 at 11:38 AM.
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Nice setup!
Deedubbya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
CCC
Grand Slam

Doesn't sound like a fish release would have helped snapper that had been sitting in a fish box while the folks he was describing fished for bigger ones.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
Grand Slam

True, but will help with the floaters Chapman was referring to.

Last edited by lastcast; 06-07-2015 at 12:09 PM.
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
CCC
Grand Slam

Ok, thought as I read it they were floating because being culled from a fish box and were already dead
Old 06-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcast View Post
If everyone would just make a simple fish release alot more would live and it wouldn't cost you anything! Here's a very simple but effective rig! Put a big snap swivel upside down on top and you'll be able to snap it to any rig, Smash the barb. Hook the fish from the out side on the upper lip, open bail and drop fish. When at depth just jerk and reel, fish released and has a good chance of survival. I wish everyone would make and use one and save our fish for "our" next dinner. Thanks to those who do!

I'm all in for saving fish when out of season, but do you know for a fact that just by sending the fish back down to its original depth actually works or is it an out of site out mind situation? Just curious to know the facts before giving it a try at sea.
brianspy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
IT'S ALL GOOD !
Sailfish

I hate it when I see this happening. We were at paradise hole about 3 or 4 years ago and a boat was snapper fishing about 50 yards from us and they were throwing their smaller dead ones back every time they caught something bigger. I bet I saw them take at least a half dozen out of their cooler and toss overboard. Sad....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in