.223 cal. vs 5.56 mm ALERT! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Gear For Sale or Trade

Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Snapper

Default .223 cal. vs 5.56 mm ALERT!

I've been researching my way through many sources and opinions about this comparison: .223 cal. vs 5.56mm cartridges. The folowing information is based on FACTS(?!) that are presented by numerous "experienced" sources.
Please consider! It is a matter of life and (possible death)!

I recently met a man that is an seasoned shooter and gun nut! He told me of his personal experience. He was at the range watching an individual shoot a single shot rifle, "marked" .223 cal. The person shot a 5.56 mm round in the rifle and it actually split the rifle chamber down the middle. This is the consensus of many shooters; DO NOT SHOOT 5.56 mm ammo in a rifle "marked" .223. The breach pressure is 1/3 to 1/2 times more than the .223 cal. is rated for!

On the other hand, I called (2) Saiga distributors because I bought a new Saiga Rifle stamped .223 Cal. Both (Russian & NASTY) distributors agreed that the rifle "was chambered" 5.56 / .223 and that it was safe to shoot either round. The Saiga manual says (5.56 / .223).
THAT MEANS, if the rifle is chambered for 5.56 / .223, either round is safe to shoot. IF ANYONE HAS DIFFERENT INFO ? EXPERIENCE? LET EVERYONE KNOW!

Over N Out!
Joe K. Sr.
Joe.K.Sr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Whizzed off realist
White Marlin

My Dad has a Browning 1895(I think) single shot and they've had the 5.56 tula ammo
hang in the chamber. The ejector won't pop it out. I'd bet that remington, federal or any other .223 ammo not marked 5.56 would eject. This is a problem that the mfgs of ammo and firearms should have FIXED yesterday.
Burnt Drag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Snapper

Default Safe is better than "Cheap".

Please advise your dad NOT to shoot 5.56 mm in the rifle! It may have already stretched / weakened the action / chamber! My opinion!

Joe K. Sr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE

Why in the name of God would they not make ALL barrells able to shoot both. Seems like an easy fix to a possible danger.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Sailfish

Send a message via Yahoo to kaferhaus

Tula ammo is crap period and should not be used as an example of differences between 5.56 and .223 ammo.

5.56 NATO ammo is only slightly different than .223. It can be loaded to 62000psi where as .223 SAAMI spec ammo is no more than 55000psi. Hardly enough difference to blow up or damage a .223 rifle in good condition as the "proof" cartridge for .223 is 70000psi. The internet is full of BS.

On "paper" the 5.56 chamber has a slightly longer throat than the .223 to allow for more bullet jump, which helps to reduce pressures. However, "actual" .223 chambers do not have minimum spec SAAMI dimensions unless it's a custom rifle and the owner specified a minimum dimension chamber.

Next, a bolt action rifle is much stronger than any AR15 could hope to be.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
NRA Lifetime Member
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Why in the name of God would they not make ALL barrells able to shoot both. Seems like an easy fix to a possible danger.
They do...

The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy.
kendive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Trigger

two questions.

1. Haus would you then suggest that you should keep 5.56 away from autoloaders (wood masters, mini 14s and such)?

2. why is this in the sales section?
Longbow14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Trigger

This is some good reading...

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/
Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Whizzed off realist
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
Tula ammo is crap period and should not be used as an example of differences between 5.56 and .223 ammo.

5.56 NATO ammo is only slightly different than .223. It can be loaded to 62000psi where as .223 SAAMI spec ammo is no more than 55000psi. Hardly enough difference to blow up or damage a .223 rifle in good condition as the "proof" cartridge for .223 is 70000psi. The internet is full of BS.

On "paper" the 5.56 chamber has a slightly longer throat than the .223 to allow for more bullet jump, which helps to reduce pressures. However, "actual" .223 chambers do not have minimum spec SAAMI dimensions unless it's a custom rifle and the owner specified a minimum dimension chamber.

Next, a bolt action rifle is much stronger than any AR15 could hope to be.
Thanks Steve, for bringing some additional sanity to the table.
Burnt Drag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Snapper

Default Back to Square ONE!

If what "kaferhaus" is saying about the .223 cal. "proof load" is a true fact, ( and I don't question his tech data), why have I found inside of 2 weeks, (2) honest "shooters" having experienced gun failures with 5.56 cal. rounds in .223 cal. rifles. Single shot rifles at that!

The whole point of my research is to avoid blowing myself up and...help other shooters avoid the same fate.

We as bonafide "shooters" need to sort out the BS from the facts so ALL OF US will know the facts, save ourselves, and teach others.

Another issue, after we solve this one is " 7.62 Nato Vs. .308".

Let us work together to "serve and protect" all who are paying close attention to the "facts".

As an old RVN veteran, I've heard enough BS, sarcasm, sm-rt--ss remarks, if that's all you can contribute, go bother someone else!

SSGt. Joe Kocon
401 st TFW, Expeditionary Force,
RVN, 1964-65-66

P.S. " We have met the enemy, and he is us!

Last edited by Joe.K.Sr; 10-09-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in